Steinberg Midex 8 Compatibility query

Ok thanks, I will research…

Knowledge is power

Cheers dude :heart_eyes::+1::wink:

Yes I did read the Midex+ works well with an ST

There are examples starting on page 21 of the “Complete Cubase Handbook”, online at this link:
https://archive.org/details/the-complete-cubase-handbook/The%20Complete%20CUBASE%20Handbook/page/22/mode/2up

1 Like

Works well software-wise, and so does unitor.

What’s important here is the hardware connection between those expansions and the DMA port on the left side of the ST. MIDEX has a lesser stable connection than Unitor. And this port is a bare CPU direct pinout, even more direct than the PCIe bus on todays PCs, imagine what happens when shaking PCIe audio interface while the PC is running.

As for the MIDI connection, if you only have 1 port, connect all of them to ST’s MIDI port, to a device’s MIDI IN, and then from the MIDI THRU of the device to the next machine. Anything needs tighter timing first, ST OUT → SR16 → X5 → JV → PF → Midiverb4 or so.
If you have a unitor or midex, connect drums to the first port of the expansion, distribute all others to different ports as much as possible, and avoid sending chords to a port that is also used by drum machines. E.g. midex out 1 → SR16, out2 → JV (or anything that plays bass mostly), out3 → X5, out4 → PF and MidiVerb.

1 Like

As for timecode and MIDI IN, connect ch8 of the tape machine to/from XRI mtc tape in/out.
Assuming the Piano is your master key, the Piano’s MIDI OUT-> XRI MIDI IN, then XRI MIDI OUT → ST MIDI IN.

1 Like

@stephensmithxkr - remember, one step at a time. It might seem overwhelming but jump in and when you hit a brick wall ask a question.

No reason to worry about crossing bridges when you’re only just getting started on the journey :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry guys to not reply earlier
I hit my daily Newbie posting limit. Slightly unfair I feel but thats the rules and protocol of the forum and I respect it.

Thanks for the advice guys, Doc, Soundman and Tak, so much appreciated :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::wink::+1:

Takashi, thanks for the advice for the MIDI wiring… that is just what I needed. I have printed a copy of your post and will keep it as a reference in my hard copy learning file (the learning file is getting rather large).

Thanks for the interface advice, I would like to get one in future but I think for now I will just use series linking to keep it simple until I climb the learning curve a bit.

So so much to learn :worried: but I get what you say about not giving up Doc​:wink::+1:. I am setting myself a 12 month timescale to really master again all of the hard legacy equipment I have and get a reasonable ability and understanding of DAW.
Its like going back to music college again aged 57… but without the long hair and all the time spent in the pub :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
Thanks guys
Steve :wink::+1:

1 Like

@stephensmithxkr
Good luck with your re-creation of the production style of the early 90s. :wink: That’s so interesting and exciting.
The next upgrade to your set-up must be an AKAI sampler, S1000 or alike.

In those days my favourite sequencer was C-Lab Notator, cubase was 2nd unless a client/colleague prefer it I always worked on the C-Lab. So do the majority of engineers in the era. The typical set-up in the main room of the studio I used to slaved for was like, ATARI ST + Notator, 2xS1000, minimoog, ensoniq vfx, juno106 and a few more. Every morning as a tapeop, I connected midi and audio cables to these to prepare for the session, then undo all that at 2AM when the session finally ended. DDA desk, Otari MTR80 (2inch 24tracks), and DAT decks were also there to record them with lots of outboards to mix. This kind of set-up continued until Cubase VST became usable in the late 90s. Those were the good days. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d recommend an s950 - it has more of a ‘sound’ than the s1000.

No doubt the s1000 is a ‘better’ unit but the s950 has much more ‘mojo’.

I’ve still got my s950 from that era - and recently sold my old s1000. If you are interested in the s1000 type then I’d aim for an s1100 or something even newer like a 3000 series.

1 Like

Funny you mention that Takashi, I have been thinking about the next piece of pre owned legacy 1990’s kit and a sampler would be the obvious next step, and Akai was the machine of choice in all of the studios at music college way back then.
The 950 and 1000 and 1100 are going for big money now… £300 +
I have set myself a limit of under £100 for each piece of legacy rack kit, to appease the missus and so that I dont get carried away.
I just stumbled across an S2000 for £80!?
It is advertised as good working order by a retailer not a private eBayer.
Was the S2000 just a cheap remake of the previous models or is it just retro fashion that drives up the prices of the ones that came before it and the 2000 has become a bit unloved? Either way if it is half decent then the price is in my budget.
Also I still have my eye on the MIDEX 8 for £80 as well. Shame I cant use it with the ST and Cubase 3.1 but I think it will still work with a modern DAW for my outboard racks. That will be much further down my learning journey.
Great to chat and pick your brains as always guys.
Appreciated :+1:
Cheers
Smithers :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::wink::+1::+1:

1 Like

I think the most interesting choice now is CD3000/XL, if you can find one.
S1000 made the AKAI industry standard. S1100 were almost the same with built-in expansions and effects (the sound is a tiny bit different). Then later S3200, S3200XL, CD3000 and CD3000XL came out, has clearner and punchy sound with useful resonance filters. These shares the same standard S1000-like operation. I think you can buy any one of these. If S1000, make sure to get one with the digital (AES/SPDIF) expansion to connect to daw for sampling. We used to stack a few of them in control rooms. :slight_smile: That continued for a decade I think.

S900 and then later S950 was also often seen in pro studios but it was much harder to use, somewhat better sound as @Dr.Strangelove says but IMO are not critically different, many people/studios prefered to use the S1000 incarnations.

S01 and S2000 were entry-level, cheap ones. No point getting them now, I think.

Then S6000 was a great successor to the S1000->S3200XL series. It has a USB port to connect to PCs for save/load/etc. I loved the machine, that was my last hardware sampler and used it for a few years. It didn’t become popular because, by that date, Halion and other software samplers were already starting to emerge. S5000 has no detachable editor (that’s the best part of the S6000), otherwise the same as the S6000. The operation of S5/6000 were similar to S1000, besides Halion1 was very similar to S1000/S3000, so everyone could start using it in seconds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shame! I was hoping I had found a steal with the S2000 LOL! DOH!
Thanks for the advice Takashi.

1 Like

I might try to pick up a bargain 950 sometime a s you and Doc advised. If its just a case of more difficult to use then I can live with that totally.
Thats what you guys are here for :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::+1:
Cheers

1 Like

seems about right in 2022 - but as @TakashiWatanabe says, s2000 is very much a budget model. I’d wait.

midex 8 come up all the time on ebay around that price or cheaper. No need to rush into that one.

yes - agreed. I would have loved one of those when they were new.

I’ve kept the s950 for the sound and it’s limitations. As mentioned s900 is very similar. The more recent Akais are amazing but I can’t help thinking that a modern computer based sampler might be more sensible if you are going the more modern hi-fi route ?

1 Like

Thanks Doc, I am trying to work on this as 2 seperate projects, legacy and outboard 90’s tech running from the ST and then the DAW based modern approach. I know it may sound weird and a bit OCD but thats the way I am.
I want to keep the 2 approaches completely seperate.
Thanks and sorry if I am a bit odd :heart_eyes::rofl::+1:

not odd at all …well rather, no more odd than running an Atari in 2022.

I think creativity often comes out of the limitations of the equipment we use. Now we are able to do more or less anything, we end up ‘crazy from too much choice’

1 Like

Thanks for the Midex advice Doc, I will just leave that. The DAW learning comes much later down the line.
I have managed to MIDI series link with the old kit and seems to be good but having a few teething problems with the XR300 MTC. Its misbehaving with Cubase but I will study more. All a learning process :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::+1:

Choice kills musical creativity. I did some great demos in 94 with just Atari and Cubase 3 and Korg X5, MT8X 8 track, practice amp and 1 SM58. Loving having HDD for the Atari now tho!

I haven’t used a XR300 for nearly 30 years ! - but seem to remember it working seamlessly with cubase/atari with cubase to chase to MTC.

Sadly I reckon I did my best work with those same limitations (cubase/8 track / 1 mic) …it’s been downhill ever since.

1 Like

I have ran MIDI out from the ST into the MTC
I think that might be wrong and causing the problem.
I am going to try running the MIDI out from the XR into the Atari MIDI in