Steinberg now says "Old lanes style" to return (as option)

http://www.soundonsound.com/

Appears there is also a review of the Behritones and an article on recording Cajons, both very relevant to me atm. I’ll probably pick this issue up in the bookstore, thanks :slight_smile:

wow if this is true I will be so over the moon, I loved the old lanes behaviour

I don’t know how to quote from the nuendo forum but this explains very well the situation :

Re: Question about N5.5 Events “on top” behavior
by Brandy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:16 am

Bredo wrote:
The NEW lanes concept is only good for situations when all your tracking/recording is 100% finished. Not the usual workflow (when working with artists) IMHO. More than often we will try “just another take” after comping to nearly perfection, just to lose all our comped part in the process. Not impressive in front of client.

I want to add something here:

It is just like Bredo described. It looked good in the C6 features videos were the dude said “edit faster”. Maybe. If you just comp quick and dirty preproduction stuff with takes sliced only bar for bar, AFTER everything is recorded.

In real world scenario it is WAY different.

You record a few takes, at this point you will usually start to comp the takes, listening to them, using take 2, cutting out and use a phrase from take 4 etc - talking with the talent, agreeing that line 3 is still not good - doing one or two overdubs again, first from the whole part, later only from line 3… Editing, comping… Using maybe just a “tt” from an older outtake because in the never takes the “tt” was sounding like a “dd” - oh and well - yeaaaa what about take 1?? Isnt it great for line 4 - because he has just more balls? The roughness here we like, so lets use it for line 4, cool! Oh, but here - the word “paaaassion” - I don’t like the “aaaa” - but in take 8 I like! Lets just use “aaass” from over here, just a second, I am editing - ok, cool - do you hear the cut? I do not, great!

THAT way a recording session is done!! IMPOSSIBLE with new lanes concept.

This is wonderful news!!! I miss the old system so much! This really made my entire day better. :slight_smile:

EXCELLENT description of a real world recording-or MY real world, anyway.

This nails it.

…and over and over it in this forum since last February!!

Save your money. I have read all the SOS articles about the new lanes (there are several) and they are little more than glorified sales pitches, with no mention of any shortcomings, trickiness or “issues”.

Wonder what you power users will use to decide when to use the old style vs the new one?

I hope they can make the old style drop down new takes to tracks like the new style.

I’d be awesome to have a button that gives us the option to quickly toggle between the old and the new lane behaviour instead of a preference option. A much faster workflow in case you thought you were done tracking and later decide you want to re-record again.

Instead of having different “lane modes” (new style vs old style) why not just keep it really simple and instead expand on the functionality of the tools we already have…?

For example: linked cutting. A modifier to the scissors tool could achieve this - eg holding down alt when cutting with scissors, cuts all lanes. Holding down nothing, causes scissors to operate as they did in all other releases.

auto muting: why not just expand the “mute” tool that we already have? have a modifier key for the tool that causes it to perform the “exclusive muting” that the arrow currently does. ie when you unmute a part it automatically mutes other parts that play at the same time.

Then the arrow tool could be used for selecting things without accidentally destroying 5 hours work.

This would accomodate both ways of working while making it “backwards compatible” with existing user workflow (vital unless you want to piss off three quarters of your user base)

I hope SB have thought of this stuff…

Even better!

Write a thesis in Welcome to Steinberg for all to see.

Don’t wait for anyone to ask what you want because at the end of the day, the developers have a job to do and their work is already cut out for them by “important” people in the industry.

I just read some of the back threads about the new comping vs old and and now I’m hard pressed to think of a reason why the new style would be of any benefit over the old.

Reading the Sound on Sound article it does seem to have benefits for section (ie: drums) operations. They seem to be made up with it there and it’s only here I seem to see mention of “old lanes” option.
Still, as it’s returning there’ll likely be a double benefit.

Found another comping article from August 2011:Vocal Comping
if you can’t get it free this month it may be available next month or buy a back issue.
I suggest all read it as these guys seem to be very happy with it. Just to make sure that some hidden button is being missed.

I missed this so others must have too. Don’t know how relevant to this specific issue but it’s just the sort of small detail that I, particularly, overlook.

…and why is there a “solo” button on each lane but not a “mute” button ?
mute would be much more useful than solo. Besides, if you want to listen to a lane in solo, you can now just CTRL+click to get the auditon tool and use that instead…

I think generally that they have followed tape convention rather than digital. On tape you would leave all your takes to edit at the mixing stage and rarely have the option to add more on the fly. Maybe all it needs is updating to new practices but I’m unsure how many new and strange options would need to be introduced to facilitate the possibilities we see here.
I can see that the decisions made on development would be much simpler to plan and program than to invent totally new workpractices for the majority of “old” Cubase users who grew up with tape.
There’s a lot of decisions to be made and it does not stop at “old versus new” if it has to be thought through to logical conclusions.
Maybe there is a development ongoing, maybe not, as Bredo’s last post mentions, once ytou start thinking of one improvement then another pops up to take it’s place. The thinking is logical, probably productive, but the programming team in all reality can’t develop these and lay awake at night thinking “What have we overlooked?” Unless it’s entirely basic, of course.
I think we have to wait for the concepts to reach home and develop in stages.
I just like to find a balance on why and what developments take place.