Steinberg, please focus on stability and quality

This is because Ozone 9 is very high latency and Cubase needs to recalculate the time difference to sync everything back up. I believe other DAWs don’t align until you press stop. Either way, giving your ears a 10 second break isn’t a bad thing.

Reaper aligns on every bar which Cubase does not and it becomes a nightmare when you happen to trigger a VST arp with a single long MIDI note and a random interaction with the DAW interrupts the playback as usual.

But yeah, taking breaks is nice.

I feel your pain. I’ve been working on a project all June on Pro 10.5.30, which has been pretty stable overall. I decided to upgrade yesterday to Pro 11.0.30, which contains some nice features I could use.

Running the exact same project, I already went through a couple of crashes this morning due to graphical issues… I opened a ticket and while waiting for a solution, I’m back to 10.5.30. Really disappointed!

3 Likes

I too have reverted to 10.5.20 because of the Komplete Kontrol issue and Broadcast .wav issue. I haven’t use 11 in months. I’m hoping to be able to use it before 11.5 comes out!

1 Like

Komplete Kontrol issue? I’ve been using KK all week and not had any issues - what are they? You have me worried now.

It’s an issue with Komplete Kontrol when you disable and enable tracks and or copy tracks.

1 Like

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing. Plugins have processing latency, some more than others. DAWs have to do something to counter the differences called Plugin Delay Compensation. DAWs handle this differently, some betters than other. Some have been known to have problems with phase and bad sync.

If you add a plugin with 1 second latency during playback, it’s going to be out of sync. The DAW has two ways of handling that - momentarily interrupt playback to resync everything with the new plugin, or, let the tracks go out of sync until the user presses stop.

Cubase keeps everything in sync but with the momentary interruption. Cubase has said to have good plugin delay compensation, so most have lived with the momentary interruption.

Maybe there is some other way some DAWs have figured that out I’m not away of.

You can try disabling ASIO guard or choosing ‘Low’, and also reducing your buffer… This might speed things up

Or the third method most other DAWs use, is to engage the plugin, but you won’t hear the results of that in the plugin chain until that latent period/buffer has been fulfilled. This allows for uninterrupted playback.

Remember that less latent tracks are offset backwards, to allow for the more latent tracks. So in other DAWs when a new plugin is added to the chain they are simply allowed to extend further. This whole playback interruption, I imagine, is more related with Cubase’s audio engine and how ASIO Performance is managed.

Sadly, in Cubase’s case, if you have any kind of external MIDI sync happening, this pause/break in playback can throw everything out to the point where you have to restart playback. Particularly external drum machines/sequencers/arps.

Personally, i’m quite used to it so not a problem for me, but i can appreciate how it would lead to a negative initial impression of using Cubase.

2 Likes

right that’s what I was maybe thinking of but couldn’t remember exactly the protocol.

In that regard, I prefer Cubases method because a.) the user would have to stop playback anyways and b.) manually stopping playback for me personally, would be annoying because i often have Return to Start on Stop enabled.

A solution would be perhaps to allow users to set a pre-emptive delay in preferences. ie, a user could look up their most latency inducing plugin, and set the pre-emptive delay to that. This would solve the MIDI-sync interruption issue maybe?

One thing I would like to see, is a preference to block any user action from interrupting recording. ie, a pop-up box if recording is active that says 'This will interrupt recording - Continue? Yes/No"

Also, people are dismissing how Cubase ‘generally’ doesn’t crash or lock up when overloaded. I upgraded to K13 during their sale, and it came with Guitar Rig 6 - Turns out it’s an absolute CPU killer! (Sounds great tho lol).

As a result, I opened up Reaper to compare how it performed, to make sure it was the plugin and not Cubase… And as expected, Reaper was a bit better than Cubase (Although, It hasn’t the overhead of variaudio, chord track, channel strip on each channel by default etc.).

However, when comparing i was duplicating tracks to see at which point both DAW’s would fall down, it was interesting to note that Cubase just stopped playing the audio when overloaded, whereas Reaper completely locked my machine up and I couldn’t stop or quit out of the app when it overloaded.

So, it’s quite comforting to know that Cubase/ASIO guard appears to be doing a great job and maintaining a stable system. If that comes at the cost of pausing audio, for the ASIO engine to manage resources, and sync the project - then, well, it could be argued a positive method too.

2 Likes

This has been my experience too GG - 10.5 was great. Support blamed my crashes on several programs that were not up to date and suggested I removed some, which I did. Nothing has changed - it rarely shuts down properly so if I want to open up a new project I need to Quit, else simply a Close followed by an Open file command will crash the program at some time during the session - unless I’m lucky.

I’m sticking with 11.0.10 (Windows 10) because I’m still in an album project and I do love the new audio export facility which is such a time saver.

Agree though - stability before new features please Steinberg

Mac or Windows? sounds like a weird system/os side problem to me… but I could be wrong.

Do you get identical issues opening in Safe Mode with preferences and 3rd party plugs disabled?

1 Like

Windows 10 - which as an OS is 100% rock solid since installation last year.

Haven’t tried that - but my primary issue is when closing as if it doesn’t close properly that’s when the issues appear on the next boot of a Cubase 11 session.

If it was a 3rd party plugin causing the issue wouldn’t that be detected in the Crash Log?

The OP makes a good point. Reliability is most important but I understand the need for Cubase to keep up with the changes in music production methods.

I too have been using Cubase since the Atari days and I tend use it in a traditional recording studio setting. I have always found it reliable and I can’t remember any issues that prevented me from completing my work. My approach is to have a separate Windows computer for the DAW with a good CPU + plenty of memory and replace it every 5 to 8 years. I never load up potentially invasive software like MSOffice.

To promote reliability I would like to see Steinberg standardize on a “Public Beta” phase starting in November followed by a scheduled update with bug fixes in January.

Fully agree to the OP, unimportant how many other users may be (better) able to use this or that Cubase Version.
I have a few plugins which can be changed in their color appearance, they need to be closed and opened to see the changes 100% applied, not a bummer but noticable.
Then the redraw issue of events (change Event display to drum map for instance and see what happens > nothing, unless you hoover over or move content or open close windows).
Lately Cubase did not record or play pack anything. MIDI data came in, all Cubase VSTi’s remained mute. Closing and reopening Cubase solved it. Never had something like this before.
And there are remaining glitches and bugs (i.e. the missing highlighting of the selected tool from the Tool bar, almost useless Zone Concept, Display bug of In/Outs, lack of 2-lines in the mixer channels (WIN) etc. etc.). This should all be fixed in the product’s life cycle. By our experience it will not happen.

1 Like

Just try to duplicate a Komplete plugin instrument track and then switch back and forth between two presets on those tracks, import is also buggy, as well as if you have more than one komplete track in a song, it will display the instrument of the LAST track not the SELECTED track after loading …

Frankly, I love Cubase since Atari times, but I paused it since C11 and use for now studio one that works perfectly with Komplete and loads and feels way faster on my workflows, even if I miss MIDI program scripts for my external midi synth racks

Also having only (4 votes max?) so little votes available is crazy too, I’d like to vote for a dozen of top priorities suggestions, please Steinberg make the votes limit up to at least ten, for these that we deem to be priorities out of hundreds of great suggestions, increase that too low limit for each user in this forum …
This one thread / suggestion is definitely also something I’d like to vote on …

I would add, while focusing on quality, please ensure performances are still acceptable, especially compared to other more recent DAW’s, might be about time to use more recent than C++98 compilers (like C++17 ?), with fast move / in place constructors, constexpr and other useful runtime optimizations, especially in the plugin engine, without sacrificing code readability and quality.

3 Likes