Steinberg, please focus on stability and quality

Oh yeah.
For me, several of the latest iZotope plugins crash Cubase reproducibly and immediately.
Steinberg support blamed iZotope. iZotope support blamed Steinberg,
Both of them said HiDPI on Nvidia GPUs might be an issue. (didn’t say why.)
I even swapped my GPU for a Radeon GPU.
Didn’t help. (and now I have to disable OpenGL on plugins that use it. Grrr.)

3 Likes

Hi,

Well it could be that both supports from iZotope and us are in fact right regarding NVidia’s drivers’ instability. Are you tried all the different solutions here? Switching to “integrated graphics” for instance has solved a lot of issues… including my own laptop.

Cheers,
Armand

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t want to devalue your experience in any way, but I also have to say that on my system Cubase is rock solid. I have very few problems, and the ones I have are normally not originating from Cubase.
Not saying this is the case for the original poster, but… If you are on a PC, I think it is important to stick with fairly standard stuff, that you have a pretty good chance to know it has been tested. If you go with more esoteric setups, you can expect more problems.

I’m with Cubase since version 8 and I really liked all the iterations until Cubase 10 showed up.
I think it was the worst version for me.
So far I didn’t have any major problems/issues with 11 but same as OP I am a bit reluctant to move to version 11.5 when it’ll show up.

I literally removed the Nvidia GPU and installed a new Radeon card in response to this “support“ and it didn’t make any difference. I have four monitors, two of which are 4K, so the suggestion that I use integrated graphics is not very 2021. It seems more likely that the VST spec’s implementation of HiDPI and compatibility with Windows scaling is the issue.
The idea that Nvidia drivers can support the world’s most advanced games, compositing, and VR, with thousands of shaded polygons on multiple 4K screens at 60 frames a second but will crash one particular application if it asks them to draw a few squiggly lines … seems absurd.

5 Likes

me too, hahaha

We also think it’s absurd and yet this is the case so far. Games and desktop applications have in fact very different requirements. We’ve been in touch with them beginning of 2020, we have spotted what could be the issue and they are aware of it. They’ve somehow addressed it here and there in some newer drivers but apparently the issue still shows up on some configurations.

1 Like

Armand, given your credentials, I very much appreciate you weighing in here and giving us real info about development challenges. I wish we had more of this kind of insight on this forum. :slight_smile:

I know that Nvidia were notoriously uncooperative with Apple, to the point of Apple abandoning them entirely, so the absurd impasse is plausible.

But I removed Nvidia from my PC after suggestion from Steinberg and iZotope. Replaced with an AMD Radeon card. And I still see the same iZotope-malfunctions-in-Cubase-HiDPI-mode issue. Can we still blame Nvidia at that point?

EDIT:
Here’s a fun screenmovie (Oct21,2021) of the latest iZotope Nectar 3 running in the latest Cubase Pro, on my non-Nvidia system. switch youtube playback setting to 1080p.

Window contents is unstable? The window doubles in size each time it’s opened? Contents get scrambled? With option “allow windows resizing” content goes low-res and scrambled?
What am I doing wrong?

EDIT:
Also, btw, iZotope installs a bunch of .dll’s in the Steinberg/VSTplugins directory that I understand are support files, not plugins, but Cubase thinks are supposed to be plugins and adds to blocklist with a message about not supporting 32-bit? Can Steinberg and iZotope maybe co-ordinate please?

This sounds like you’re mocking your own users.

Hi,

Sorry about the NVidia rant, I was misinterpreting this with another issue.

I’m afraid that we cannot guaranty that VST 2 plugins work seamlessly under the context of a hybrid application that opens both HiDPI-Aware and Unaware windows. The best workaround so far is to use this “Allow Window Rescaling” option that will force the Window to be HiDPI-Unaware. And then pray that this doesn’t open other loophole in the plugin that isn’t HiDPI-Aware.

We have contacted iZotope about a year ago with similar issues and possible solutions, the ideal one being that they move to VST3 SDK. This is something we keep saying every now and then to the main manufacturers as this is the only solution that is compatible with HiDPI systems, everything else is a workaround, either on our side, or on their. I will contact them again and use your video for reference.

Thank you!

4 Likes

er, the iZotope plugins are already VST3. It was the VST3 version I launched in my video.

Hi,

The “Allow rescaling” option is only available for VST2 plugins. Or then this is a bug we need to immediately address. I therefore suspect that the Nectar instane you are showing in your video is the VST2 version and not the VST3 version. Can you confirm? if yes, can you switch to the VST3 version and see how it goes?

Thanks!

1. It’s definitely the VST3 plugin. see new video with “About” pane shown…
    iZotope Nectar 3 (3.3) VST3 graphics issue - YouTube
  2. The Nectar3 editor window doubles in size everytime it’s re-opened
  3. The “allow windows to be resized” option is there.
  4. Neutron3 has similar issues, but the window snaps back to its normal size after flashing at double size
  5. Ozone9 VST3 does not have this issue

I hear you, Steinberg have to sort this out…

I have 11 pro, and it is pretty reasonable. Crashed a few times here and there, nothing dramatic.

Generally, it works fine.

Programs crash, I have seen Logic crashing well and proper.

T

The “about” section shows you only the version number of Nectar which is 3.3. This does not equal to showing that the VST3 plugin is used. Your are mixing up VST3 vs the version number of the plugin.

For that you have to go into your plugin manager and see what plugin version (VST2 vs VST3) are installed and in use.

It clearly says VST3

1 Like

On your screenshot yes, but not on misnoma’s video.

The screenshot is from misnoma’s video.

2 Likes

thanks for your suggestion. At another moment in the video I click the gearwheel icon for settings in the plug-in and it indicates the version number including VST3.

also when I first instantiate the plugin I linger on its name in the list so you can see the three stripes next to it indicating it is the VST3 version.