Steinberg Support

I currently have Dorico Pro 3.5 upgraded from Dorico Pro 3 and I’ve been trying to activate it on my macOS (10.13.6)
On upgrading it through the latest eLicenser (6.12.4.1276), the following error appears: “License Upgrade The activation code has been used already. An activation code can be used only once to download or upgrade a license.” This is because I’ve upgraded the license on my desktop PC (Windows 10) already as I want to use Dorico on my PC desktop and also MacBook Pro laptop.
When I got to steinberg.net to register my eLicenser, the error that comes up is “The eLicenser is depreceated.”
I don’t know what has happened to the Steinberg support page, but there’s no way to submit a ticket for an issue anymore, and all the links I’ve tried just redirects me in circles (much like corporate phone support). This has been an exceedingly frustrating experience and I’d just like someone to help me setup Dorico 3.5 on my laptop.

I’m sure someone from the team will be along to help you out in due course, but you can’t have Dorico on two computers using the same licence on the soft e-licenser. You have to use a hardware USB dongle, put the licence on that, and then plug the dongle into whichever computer you’re using.

Steinberg are apparently looking at new licensing models, but for the moment, we (and the Dorico team) are stuck with this system.

Sorry to hear you’ve had problems contacting our support team, Victor. You should be able to raise a ticket with our support team via the MySteinberg page, unless you’re located in a country where support is provided by one of our Yamaha subsidiaries; in any case you will be directed correctly from the MySteinberg page.

It sounds to me like what you’ve done in the past is use the Reactivate button in MySteinberg to move your registered Soft-eLicenser from one computer to another. Having done that, the Soft-eLicenser on your original computer is deprecated, i.e. you can no longer activate new products on that Soft-eLicenser. Furthermore, it is also the case that each activation code, e.g. your Dorico 3.5 update activation code, can only be used on a single computer, so you cannot activate your update on a second computer.

To use your software on both computers, really you need to move your license to a USB-eLicenser, though if you do that, note that you cannot move the software back in the other direction again: once it’s on your USB-eLicenser, it cannot be returned to a Soft-eLicenser.

I will send you a time-limited license code by private message to get you up and running on your second machine in the meantime.

1 Like