Steinberg tech says UR824 will not work on my new computer

I gave remote access to my computer to the Steinberg tech support and they said maybe this laptop does not work with the UR824. I was not confident that they really knew this and it doesn’t make much sense since a Presonus USB interface worked fine. He did spend about 2 minutes or less before coming to this conclusion.

It has the same chipset as the I3,5 and 7 new processors but has the pentium B940. It has windows 7 64 bit and 8 gig ram. If it cannot work with a standard laptop than I think I should just get a refund.Doesn’t a warranty guarantee that soemthing works or the company fixes it? I guess i will have to ask a lawyer friend about this.

On the other hand, It would be my favorite interface if it worked.

Peter

A different tech called me and said to uninstall antivirus software. It still lost sync once last night in 3 hrs. This was a big improvement from before.
Peter

Hello Peter,

Please be sure that you not play any Windows Sounds over the UR when you work with Cubase. Some more detailed information can be found here.

Perhaps you have also a look in Windows regarding the USB powerscheme settings.

Cheers,

Chris

Thank you Chris,

That article said to use the built in sound card for computer sounds. I assumed that it would better to disable it. I have all windows sounds disabled. I changed a usb setting in advanced power settings now. I will see how these things work.

Peter

Hello Peter,

Please post some details about your laptop (manufacturer / model) when you should still have troubles.

Cheers,

Chris

Asus K53E BBR1 laptop.
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core B940 Processor
Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
7200 rpm 500 gig hard drive
8 gig ram

Hello Peter,

How things are going now ? Still troubles ? When YES, then please write down what kind of troubles in order to assist you.

Cheers,

Chris

If I use the UR824 to play videos online,the sound goes fuzzy and distorted once or twice in an evening. It also does this if I use it in cubase. I have to disable the sound card and then enable to get it to work.

The article said I should use the built in sound card for anything other the the recording software. I would then have to route those outputs to my monitors somehow or use 2 inputs of the 824,which I would prefer not to do.

Should I enable the built in sound card?

Thanks,Peter