Steinberg UK telephone number?

(Sorry to the OP to go off topic - couldn’t resist…!)
Well, SSL (Solid State Logic) was already a going concern, started and helmed by ColinS since 1969 - making digital switching controls for church organs primarily, but who had also built by the mid to late '70’s the first 4000 series consoles. Colin gave me my first proper job in life there at their studio/workshop premises in Stonesfield, as tape op/junior assistant engineer/trainee electronics engineer - Acorn Studios it was called then. We recorded people like The Barron Knights (ask your dad) and Wes Mcgee and a number of other solo artists and pop bands. I worked alongside engineer Colin Bateman. We used a 4000B to record/demo to potential clients - one of the first with the SSL computer and Total Recall. Which was fundamentally, a huge revolution in studio tech at the time.

For a while, it was the two Colins, a digital systems design engineer called Vernon Roper, Betty ?? who handled all the admin and, er, me…

They then moved to bigger premises in Stonesfield, which is when Evenlode Soundworks took on the old studio round the corner. I’d moved on to take up full-time engineering qualifications studies, at a local Tech College - with a view to going back some time… but, that just never quite worked out…

(Now, back to your scheduled programme…)

Well Arbiter used to offer UK support but they are well gone now. I assume calling Germany from a mobile is gonna be pricey. Will just have to shell out I guess. I don’t have a land line.

So no-one can help me with the MIDI volumes thing then? I’m totally stumped…

Oh, for goodness’ sake! All you’ve said so far is “MIDI volume in the inspector doesn’t work” then waffled about automation, which is something quite different! Put in the effort to formulate a proper question, I’m sure someone can help.

+1 and approach someone with a reasonable attitude and you might find you get more responses kind sir !

ASK seems to work better than demand !

complete and utter kind regards
filter

Just put a video up. Have a look on page 2 of this thread.

Well, but actually it is (apart from that your also x-posting. But of course rules are only valid for the others…)

Obviously because as you already found out, because they´re unable to run a forum. Btw. didn´t you want to switch to Pro Tools anyway already in your first post here…? You could do us a favour and do it finally…

have just added this video. Please help someone… I can’t work till it’s sorted…

Sorry for being such a geek. Ps. take a look at ‘The Hole’ video on my page. It’s good fun. Or not… whatever…

OK. I’ve looked at the thread. Your attitude doesn’t help - don’t forget you’re talking to fellow users, not to Steinberg! Ranting isn’t productive with us. (And some of your respondents were just as bad:-)

I just opened a project that uses Kontakt Player. There’s a setting in the VSTi - “Accept standard controllers for volume and pan”. It was turned off. This may be a productive avenue for further exploration…

Watch this space.

Hi. My problem seems to be with Halion. As you can see from the video, Halion is receiving volume messages fine, but Cubase isn’t sending them out proplerly. It’s very weird. Kontakt is also receiving volume messages properly, but Cubase isn’t sending them out.

Your volumes are now controlled from your VSTis directly.
In the mixer, hide your midi tracks and adjust the volumes via the VSTis.
A good ploy is to move each vsti you create next door / track to to it’s corresponding midi track in the Project window. So you don’t have to scroll miles away to control the volume.

I would forget the midi volumes. I don’t know why but they haven’t worked in the old ways for quite a while and maybe there’s a reason as Cubase is crashing less spectacularly now than up to version 4 or so.
Mid has always been a problem on Intel / Windows machines. Apple / Atari had midi elements as hardware. I guess some control elements suffer while things get stabilised. It also simplifies the automation as there is one less element and path to deal with. Input volume: midi Volume: Instrument volume: Velocity: Output volume. How many volume stages do you need to get proper flummoxed like?

If you had the UK telephone number I very much doubt it would sort this out for you anyway. Stop the pain and use what works.

Hi. Many thanks for the response. I posted about this on the Cu5 page, and one of the users there has confimed that this is indeed a bug in Cu5.5.3, but that it only happens when old cubase version (pre 5) songs are imported.

In a fresh cu5.5.3 project, the inspector volume control works perfectly, what you said about controlling volumes with in instrument is not necessary. I’ve fired of a mail to Steiny so I’ll see if they can do anything. The workaround in the short term is to use automation on every track on old projects, which is a PITA…

Many thanks for the advice though.