Steinberg UR12 noisy input

Ah ok, I see you have a special input for Hi-Z, cool.

Ok now I have done the same as you did, and maxed out my preamp is much noisier than yours. Here are my files

One thing i would point out is that I have had this unit for years, and have recorded a lot of bass and guitar direct with no issues whatsoever. But then, if i check for good input level with a HB guitar or a P bass, I get healthy levels (around-15 dB) with the input gain at the halfpoint so I have never even been close to maxing the Hi-Z gain.

And yeah, inbut is probably a freudian slipā€¦

I also put an instance of TH-U with a preset called Full Metal on the master, and listened to the noise level. And frankly, with the gain at noon is as I would expect from a high gain amp.

weird.
I did compare my recent signal and past DIā€™s and the noise level is the same.

The only conclusion based on this test - my noise level is completely normal and Iā€™m raving over nothing.

When recording guitar I canā€™t apply any hardware gain to the HiZ input tho, because anything past zero will clip. But I donā€™t know if it means anything if a part of the noise is just from the input alone. So idk man, I might be getting overly knitpicky as of late.

Idk how can I get onwards ignoring the noise. :smiley: I thought hearing get worse with age, lmao

Yep, thatĀ“s one thing that does not work at all, since there is no way to ā€œpushā€ the input as you would with an amp.
You could print your whole pedal chain (keeping the input around -15dB or so) and then just add the amp and cab oin the DAW, but I have no idea if that would give you any good sounds (I suck at high hain stuff in general, and guitar in particular).

Itā€™s looking that way :+1: At least you unit isnā€™t faulty
(and sorry - edited a couple of words out of your post)