Steinberg UR22 Line-In Noise-Level-Test with powered USB-Hub

60 seconds audio recording at 24-Bit / 96 kHz - No device connected / Phantom power off. No audible noise or interferences with a powered USB-Hub. But as you can see, without a powered USB-Hub, something goes wrong…

=================================================================================================
Steinberg UR22    without active USB-Hub    with active USB-Hub       Profit / loss in comparison
=================================================================================================
Gain at 0%        Peak      (Average)       Peak      (Average)       Peak      (Average)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Left-Channel:     -54.04 dB (-63.56 dB)     -81.60 dB (-92.61 dB)     +27.56 dB (+29.05 dB)
Right-Channel:    -54.03 dB (-63.59 dB)     -81.35 dB (-92.75 dB)     +27.32 dB (+29.16 dB)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gain at 100%      Peak      (Average)       Peak      (Average)       Peak      (Average)
Left-Channel:     -51.68 dB (-63.66 dB)     -59.21 dB (-70.09 dB)     +07.53 dB (+06.43 dB)
Right-Channel:    -51.29 dB (-63.68 dB)     -58.67 dB (-70.15 dB)     +07.38 dB (+06.47 dB)

Conclusion: An active USB-Hub is recommended!

i registered just to say that using a powered hub solved my issue of random background noise. it wasn’t really noticeable until i was using guitar rig with a preset that had a fair amount of distortion. the pops and crackles were unbearable.

i would hear the audible cracks and pops randomly, but doing other things in windows would cause them as well (e.g. clicking anywhere in the main track window in sonar, scrolling throug the tracks in sonar, maximizing any window in Windows) and the issue was the exact same in windows 8.1 as well as windows 7. reinstalling the driver did not help and changing the usb cable did not help either (actually using a usb cable that did not come with the ur22 made it worse).

now with this powered hub there is no audible noise unless i raise the volume substantially which is how my previous firewire device behaved and something i consider to be non-intrusive.

my avg is around -90db with occasional peaks around -65. prior to the usb hub, my average was about -55db with frequent peaks at -47db

see attached screenshot for comparison
ur22 sound.png

I have the same problem with guitar distortion in Ur242.
what is an active usb hub? and
Using an active usb hub solves it?