Steinberg UR242 Direct Monitoring causing headache

Hello,
I need professional advice on my setup.
I have a steinberg UR242 interface and have a mic connected to input 1 and a dj mixer connected to input 3/4.
I want to use direct monitoring for playback of my dj setup and only get mono sound when doing so (recorded and monitored via loopback in obs) because i want to record clips of me djing and maybe start streaming also.
If i open cubase and setup a recording channel i hear it in stereo. But i don‘t want to have to open cubase every time i bought this intetface because i thought direct monitoring works without the daw.
Why is my setup not working like that?
Am i missing a important detail?
Does any other steinberg interface even support my needs?
Thanks in advance and apologies for bad explaination because i am anything but professional in this topic. :slight_smile:
Regards
Seb

Did you ever try to set your mix with the dspMixFx app?
This controls the monitoring mix outside from Cubase.

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately this does not show any option to change between mono and stereo and it does not change a thing if you link channels. the only thing that changes is the level meter and effects act for both linked channels.
Normally i’d say linking channels means stereo but not for dspMixFX, or not for my interface.
Do i also have to pan the channels?

Really? Linking means linking, nothing else.

Feel free to try it yourself.
You have the interface and the software.

I tried it yesterday and panning works but how should i doublecheck if it is stereo?
That is still confusing to me because when i open the recording preset i did in cubase i didn‘t have to pan any input.
Might have overlooked something in the manual but i didn‘t find instructions how to setup stereo input and monitor it with dspmixfx.

Speechless!