Steinberg UR28M beginner question

Hello,

Yesterday I received my UR28M device. The quality has been awesome, moving up from a Scarlett 2i2 has really shown me what the higher quality interfaces are capable of, however I am left with a couple of questions.

My set up is very basic at the moment. I have one XLR microphone plugged in and two phones monitors (speakers and pair of headphones). I plan on expanding this in the future.

However, I think I must have messed something up in the output settings. When I am on a Skype call, and set up the Steinberg UR28M as the “microphone”, it doesn’t just output my microphone but also the music that I am playing on my computer. In other words, it is routing all of the sounds that I listen to on my computer to the person on the other end of the call. I can mute the DAW slider in dspMixFx and that mutes the music, but also the person in the Skype call. Is there a way I can make it so that only the microphone is being used as output instead of all my sounds?

Also another question, hitting the mute button on the interface does not actually mute the microphone. It doesn’t seem to do anything, other than turning the button to red. Ideally I want it to keep on playing all other sounds on the PC, but muting the microphone entirely without having to turn the gain to 0.

I apologise if these questions are very obvious. I am still learning how to work the device.

Thank you very much in advance!

Simon

I can help perhaps with the 2nd question, not the first, sorry (as 100% of my microphone experience has been with using the UR28M while connected to Cubase). Somebody should be around soon to help with that, I think!

The Mute button only mutes the physical outputs. So if you have your speakers connected to output “A” (outputs 1 and 2 in the back), then you can mute that sound by pressing the A button, then hitting the mute button.

By the way, did you say at the beginning of your post that you had your speakers coming out of a microphone output? Usually they are connected to the outputs in the back (1/2, 3/4, 5/6). Maybe reconnecting them will help with your first question, but TBH, I’m just throwing out an idea there …

To the first question: check whether the the Loopback option is selected in your dspmixfx.