Steinberg UR816C Setting in Windows 11

Hello,
I would like to know if the Steinberg UR816C audio interface has the opportunity to work as a multi-client card and also be configured in Windows 11 not in 2 channels, stereo, but without a number of channels, practically only with bit depths and sampling frequency, In the Audio window, from the Windows control panel, to be able to configure it freely, stereo, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 … for the audio project that I would like to do.
Thank you
Luciano

Hi,
In Windows 10/11 (WASAPI interface), the latest Yamaha Steinberg USB driver (V2.1.5) is multiclient but stream audio on only one output line (2 channels, stereo)

Andre

Hi, Thank you!
Well now I look for Asio Virtual Technology (asio link pro)…maybe I can work without UR816C…:))

Ciao
Luciano

Hi, do you know if that 2 channels stereo stream that the driver mixes down to can handle more than 24 bit in wasapi mode in win 11?

Thanks for your knowlage!

Hi,
No. In WASAPI mode, Steinberg UR816C “Line” has only ONE (!?) output format : “2 channels, 24 bit, 44100 Hz (Studio Quality)”

This is ridiculous because I can choose 18 audio formats with the Windows 11 audio chipset (built into my motherboard) Microsoft driver, from “16 bit, 44100 Hz” to “32 bit, 192000 Hz”

1 Like

You can change the sample rate within the soundcard’s USB driver UI and it will change the soundcard’s entire operating sample rate for anything it does (at least with the URC44C it lets you change from 44.1k-192k using the driver software CP, can’t be done using windows it’s self), however the whole URxxC product line seems to be restricted to just 24 bit for anything outside of asio, no matter what you do.

Any mixing of inputs needs to be done in the box’s DSP processing program, and like you say, only spits out one audio stream into windows when recording if not using asio. The output’s are the same, they take one mixed audio stream from windows and spits it out to every output. You can’t have different things on different outputs like when working in asio with the URxxC or even when working with your onboard motherboard soundcard :frowning:! (I can have google chrome sound going to my onboard line out speakers, whilst my headphones are also plugged into my onboard sound card and have them separately play a game’s audio).

Totally agree.
URxxC product line are restricted to just 24 bit if we don’t use the ASIO driver.

Mixing and routing with dspMixFx are another conception “problem”. OK when using the ASIO driver but very limited when using the WASAPI driver.

1 Like

Yeah it’s lucky my onboard soundcard is, for me, currently good enough to handle almost all the things I do outside of Cubase that require multiple inputs/outputs streaming different audio sources, . The only gripe I have is the lack of 32 bit support on my main monitors when listening. Although TBF most program material is in 16 bit anyway, but it becomes a problem when wanting to critically analyse mixdowns quickly in an audio player pre-master as they may be in 32 bit with no dither.

I also worry that in the future the single audio stream could become an issue when wanting to do other things than I currently do, but for now I am not hugely affected by it, but I know some others are sadly.