Stem direction and ties

I’ve never felt the need TBH, but people have different workflows.

It’s highly efficient when you’re working with synchrone different time signatures. You can “prepare” the bars that need to be tuplefied by alt-clicking the tuplet signposts at the beginning of each bar that needs it.
In any case, even though it’s not clearly musically understandable, it’s a design that’s necessary for Dorico to work properly, and these “rhythmic containers” prove hightly efficient — just try nested tuplets, it’s simply perfect. It’s the kind of things Dorico users need to learn to know. But it’s worth it.

1 Like

If notes inside tuplets are selected, the property panel might show the tuplet properties as well? The property panel is highly modular anyway. Should be easy to implement :stuck_out_tongue:

I can see why this is useful. Yet, would you ever want to copy notes and leave the tuplets out?

It is a hidden attribute that is affected by the ‘copy’ and can lead to unexpected results. Nothing more.
Caveat copier!

Famous last words :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

The other thing that’s fascinating here is that while Dorico in this case requires me to have selected the TUPLET signposts in order to copy/paste accurately, it doesn’t seem to allow me to copy the SYSTEM-BREAKS signposts so that I can have it look right upon completion of copy/paste…

Can you give an example? In general, I have no problem copying and pasting individual or multiple System Breaks.

They are of course system-attached, so you can’t expect a regular passage selection to include them, just as you can’t expect a passage selection to include tempo marks, rehearsal marks or chord symbols. It’s easy with a marquee selection or by Cmd/Ctrl-clicking them to add them to the selection before copying.

Not sure how I’d do that. I just selected all the notes and tuplets of a region to copy/paste and additionally tried to select the system-breaks, but they remained greyed (or a lighter purple). What happens is if I select the system-breaks signposts first, they select fine, but when I use ‘shift’ to select the other items, the system-breaks de-select.

Try selecting the notes, then holding down Cmd (on Mac) or Ctrl (on Windows) and clicking each of the system breaks.

Ah yes, thank you. Holding ‘Cmd’ allowed me to select further.