Stem direction on voices - I'm confused

I entered some notes into voice 1 (I think).

Next, I hit shift-V twice to get the caret indicating the addition of a new voice.

All the notes in this new voice have their stems up, even though their lower than the notes in the first voice.

All the notes in the original voice have their stems down, even though they are all higher than the second voice.

How do I get the normal notation of voice 1 note stems going up and voice 2 stems going down?

shift-V once should do it…?

Thanks! This whole process of using voices will be something that will take some getting used to.

For example, I had experimented, which is why I posted the message. So I thought “I’ll remove the original player and start over again adding a new player and do what fratveno said” but when I deleted the original player and then added a new player there was a dotted whole-rest. And I can’t get rid of that – entering notes in what appears to be voice one leaves the dotted-whole rest floating above the staff. Entering notes in voice two worked very well, stems down while the voice one notes flipped to stems up like they should. But that rest remains floating above the staff. Selecting it and hitting ctrl-x to cut it doesn’t help. Selecting it and hitting backspace to clear it doesn’t help.

I realize it’s no big deal because this is just a small trial measure I’m working on, and I’ll be more careful in an actual project, but it would be nice to be able to select something and have the “cut” or “delete” function actually work on it.

Oh well, I’ll get the hang of this program eventually. Thanks for your reply!

Hi dhbailey52 !

If you read this forum, you’ll notice that the topics on voices and hiding rests are among the most…numerous ! I guess this is because Dorico is offering a real new way to handle these, combined by the fact that the software is still very young, so it lacks some features (like moving/copying from one voice to another…)
For now, choosing the right voice in which you are writing is something you have to do with great care, as it is not possible to correct things the way we are used to. But do not worry, it is going to evolve and it is worth learning to use this app !

I’m definitely in this for the long haul, so I’ll keep on practicing and find my way. The “manual” that Daniel gave us links to (essentially the html pages in PDF format) has been a big help, and I hope that over the Christmas vacation I can spend more time finding out more and more about Dorico.

Thanks!