Stenberg when can we expect Cubase 12?

I mean, Ableton uses clips. Theres no requirement to loop them. Personally I find it handy for testing arrangements. The real missing feature from Cubase is envelope followers that output data for use in cross-track automation. The ‘any signal automates anything’ approach in Live and Bitwig changed the game for me from a mixing standpoint.

2 Likes

I see 3 votes on this post, what are we voting for?

1 Like

i just want to get rid of this elicenser already, lets go!

4 Likes

Oh no Cubase 12 was seen in a promo video. God forbid Steinberg actually test their software before releasing it. Who does that anyways?

These days, a lot of companies, allow their customers to buy unfinished software, and help them find the bugs…

2 Likes

Where about is this C12 promo video?

It’s not about don’t wanting more features, it’s that those features require time to be developed and most people would like that effort to be spend on more useful things than “non-linear” workflow plenty of other DAWs already provide.

2 Likes

End of early 2022 is 2022-06-30, closest Tuesday is 2022-06-28 and NAMM starts 2022-07-03…

1 Like

normally I don’t care when the next version comes out, but since I am waiting for m1 native support…

September 2021 - studio one 5.4 - m1 native - free update! for studio one 5 users
September 2021 - FL Studio 20.8.4 - m1 native
July 2021 - Bitwig 4.0 - m1 native
cubase - ?
nuendo - ???

very frustrating, unfortunately

1 Like

For Steinberg to continue to employ the best engineers to keep coding the features you find the most useful, they have to sell to a wide audience. They have to be competitive.

Apple doesn’t really sell their DAW they practically give it away to sell their computers. Right now they see the biggest competitor to be Ableton as it has attracted Everyone from Berklee grads to high school students. They aren’t competing with Cubase anymore, they are competing with Ableton.

If you want Cubase to be well maintained, Steinberg is going to have to keep selling the product to the younger crowd. So it is in their best interest to stay current. Logic 10.5 is the primary competitor of Cubase, and S1 is coming up right behind , Apple doesn’t even care about Cubase anymore.

You can tell people to go use some other DAW, and give up on 20 years of Cubase, but that’s kind of the problem. Those dev cycles you are concerned about will go away if people, young people, stop buying the product.

And don’t think most young people would consider using more than one DAW. That isn’t realistic. It may be if you have, or work for, a Studio, or a production company, but it isn’t where the numbers are. Right now, if you are a 20 something musician, and own a Mac, Cubase isn’t even a consideration anymore. That’s the reality. Cubase has to compete to keep the dev cycles fed. and right now, it isn’t looking pretty.

That’s why I am 90% confident that this feature will arrive with Cubase 12. It makes the most business sense, and it isn’t much more than UI. I mocked up the feature using little more than what is in Cubase already, and the one thing I had to use Kontakt for was a tinny little quantizing script. And that feature is in Groove Agent, so if they have been smart, and coded it Object Oriented, then they have the code. it’s mostly just User Interface.

I will truly be completely shocked if it isn’t in 12. What is more, I will still be shocked if it doesn’t best Live Loops just as much as Live Loops did Ableton. Of course I was slightly shocked when it wasn’t in 11 too, so what do I know?

3 Likes

I’d say about 0.0001% chance of it being in C12, There’s been too many changes that potentially rocks the boat for legacy users.

No more dongle, VST2 being phased out being big factors - I think if they landed live looping as an improvement over bugs or feature that have gone untouched for years, there would be some really bad feedback accusing Steinberg of not caring for it’s core userbase, and focusing too much on the younger/EDM focused crowd.

I just think that’s too much change for a single version jump, personally. Plus the new MIDI API will be coming online. I think there’s more chance of the interface undergoing a redesign to be sleeker like Dorico… At least, that’s my hope, that they start to address the core engine and operation of the DAW.

Until it’s slick and they have continual playback when adding inserts or moving tracks around, I think live looping will be down the backlog. If a focus is on cleaning up the underlying code base and creating a more robust foundation to build from it will be an incredibly good update.

If we do see live looping added in C12, it will be a bolted on feature and to the detriment of the DAW I fear as would most likely be quite clunky in operation. (Would love to see it, but just don’t think it’s the right time… yet :frowning: ).

Of course, they could go plugin route with it, or potentially sit it as it’s own entity in the media bay or somewhere. But to do it correctly, it needs to be part of the DAW foundations (imo).

2 Likes

I think it’s too late to ask something from Steinberg, as I understand it, Cubase 12 is already ready, and it is undergoing tests, and what we are asking now, they will not be able to do, in such a short time. Maybe it will be in Cubase 13! Although I don’t believe it either. Now the main thing here is to find out when Cubase 12 will be released !!!, in order to quickly get rid of the USB key, and calmly continue to work))).

The only thing I can’t understand is why Steinberg can’t say the release date of Cubase 12, if they did, then there wasn’t any noise on the forum!))). Steinberg, you can write the month of release! January is flying by, maybe February?

There is the bicycle, the moped, the car, the camper, the truck. If I want to do some motorbike I take the bicycle on a sunny day, if I have to reach a distant place I take the car, if I have to take the family on vacation I take the camper, if I have to transport tons of rocks I take the truck. Each of these means of transport serves something specific, merging two vehicles into one would take away HUGE resources to make it happen, and most likely merging a bicycle and a camper would create a means of transport that is difficult to manage: you would park it damn badly, and you would not have agility of the bicycle.
Pain and Gain. Any novelty comes at the expense of developing things that already exist that might work better. My hope is that Cubase will be a safe and reliable means of transportation. Decide what it is, and make it the best you can!

2 Likes

In that case, would be great to have one option for this…

It doesn’t work the you think it does, apparently.

The release date will be announced when they know it’s ready to be released. Until that moment, no one, developers included, can predict precisely what date it will be.

1 Like

But you can roughly say with a margin that CUBASE 12 will be released in March, if you release it earlier, that’s also good, and no one will definitely scold you))) and just say that we decided to make a gift for you and release it in February !))) everything is very simple, people are waiting for approximate dates, and I think you know them!, so take it with a margin, and announce, and don’t torture your customers))). And I think respect for you will grow after this even more!

I can’t say anything, as my profile says, I don’t work there. I’m telling you though, that window is too small. And the reaction from customers of missing a deadline would be worse than that of having to wait.

In this case, I think perhaps you are setting your expectations in a way that is tortuous for you.

Then if you can’t say something, why write to me and answer? (((as I understand you are not a Steinberg employee? If you can’t answer my simple question, let someone who can answer!))) and it is the manager who is aware of all the cases, and the person who can clearly formulate the answer to my question! And not like you, who says that I don’t know when something will come out! (((then why do you even answer me if you don’t know something! (((

I am writing to the employee who can at least answer me, and answer to the point!