Step Input Issues

Recently upgraded to Artist 11. Having big issues with step inputting. Always worked in the past.
Here are three scenarios and attached video illustrating them. Can anyone help!

1. Opened key editor. Activated Step Input. Tried to place the Step Input position at bar 2. Step Input deactivates, turns white.
    test lice cap 11

2. Opened key editor. Activated Step Input. Moved Step Input position using right arrow key. Position indicator moves in 1/16th intervals even though Q = 1/2. Try to record notes by using the Piano Keyboard Display at left. Nothing happens. Note plays but does not record. Step Input deactivates, turns white.

3. Opened key editor. Activated Step Input. Recorded notes using MIDI controller. Notes are recorded but as 1/16th notes at a spacing of 1/16 notwithstanding the Q and L settings.

Hi,

I cannot reproduce this here. Once I click to the Key Editor, the blue-line (Step-Input line) appears.

1. and 3.: How is the L (Length Quantize) settings, please?

L = 1/2, i.e. half note.
Carl

L= 1/2.
I’m finding this issue very frustrating. It renders an aspect of Cubase I rely on unusable.
I’m attaching a more complete video of the three scenarios.

Carl

(Attachment test lice cap 8.gif is missing)

Hi,

Disable the Adapt to Zoom option, the orange -|+, next to the Grid, please.

Thanks Martin.
That solved the note length and spacing issue.
The other issue remaining is locating the start point of step recording. According to the Cubase Operation Manual, clicking anywhere in the note display sets the start position. However when I do that, the Step Input button, turns white (step mode suspended). In the attached video

test lice cap 14

I put the start position at bar 4 by using the right arrow key. I can turn the step record on and off but as soon as I try to reposition the start position, Step Input turns white, step input suspended. Don’t understand the significance of the white Step Input.
Carl

Hi,

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Hi Martin,
Same thing happens.
Carl

Problem solved. Preferences setup wrong. Reset. Works fine now.
Carl

What preference was set wrong?

Not sure.
Carl

‘Edit Solo’/’Record in MIDI Editors’ follow focus

If this option is activated, and Record in Editor or Solo Editor is activated in a MIDI editor, these options follow the focus. That is, if the Project window gets the focus, Record in Editor and Solo Editor are suspended in the MIDI editor.

It doesn’t seem to say what the condition was… how does the Project window have focus when I’m in the Key Editor?

I had this same issue with Step Input using Cubase 12 Artist. I contacted Yamaha (i.e. Steinberg) Support and followed their advice below, which worked for me. If you have a bunch of custom keystrokes want to save them, see the note at the bottom BEFORE doing the procedure below.

Please perform a preference reset. Instructions are below. Once complete, please test
cubase in an empty project.

1. Manually reset your preferences by opening your File Explorer:
    C:\Users\[ Username ]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg then move the folders that say
    Cubase 12 or any earlier version of Cubase you see to the desktop.

*If you don’t see the AppData folder, you must select View > Options > Change folder
and search options. Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select
Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK.

1. Restart the computer and then launch Cubase again. Be advised the load time will
    take longer as it will be rescanning everything just as it did the first time you
    opened the program.

NOTE: I had a ton of custom keystrokes and didn’t want to re-program them, so here’s something that worked for me and was NOT suggested by support. Do this at your own risk.
I located my existing [ Key Commands.xml ] file from the Roaming folder described above and made a copy of it on my desktop. After following the following the instructions above, restarting Cubase and closing it again, Cubase generated a new [ Key Commands.xml ] file, which I then replaced with my old file to the same folder. I now have Step Entry functionality again AND my custom keystrokes.