? Stereo Linked sent to Group Loses Stereo Panners on Mix Ch

Postby Chris Beuermann » 04 Feb 2011 14:43
This is how it works:
Before an issue can be labeled as a “bug” (and therefore entered in this section) the Steinberg developers need to be able to reproduce it. If you think you have found a bug, then start a topic in the regular Cubase 6 forums with a detailed description of the problem, along with your hardware setup. Two things are important:

1. The issue should be ideally confirmed by other forum members to exclude a single system glitch or absurdity

Can someone try this to see if it truly is a bug or an absurdity?

1. We need a detailed reproducible case

**- I created a new project and imported 4 mono 24 bit 48 Khz tracks.
( one mono bass, two mono (one l+ one r 180 out of phase with l) plus a single mono, center track.
note: this is the typical mid-side stereo setup with the addition of an additional isolated bass track: a jazz quartet jam.
(upright bass, ac. piano, jazz el. guitar, drumset…later on others sitting in for the jam)

• I highlighted the tracks in the pool and control clicked (right clicked) on the group of audio tracks and
    inserted them at the start of the song on separate mono tracks.

• I created two group tracks, one for the bass and one for everything else I called Stereo Pre-Mix

• I sent the bass group to the Stereo Pre-Mix group also. The Stereo Pre-Mix group to the final Stereo Out.

• I panned the two mono (side) tracks in opposite directions (one hard left, the other hard right) and since they were from the same mic’s figure 8 pattern, I put one 180 degrees out of phase with it’s brother.
    In reality they were originally one mono track from an AKG 414 in figure 8 mode and by creating a clone in finder and after importing putting it at 180 degrees out of phase, it’s like getting the other side of the large diaphram, a neat recording trick…created when you hard pan the both in opposite directions. You then bring in the center mic to create the stereo field effect to your liking…wider or narrower…
    \

• I THEN LINKED THE TWO MONO & PANNED TRACKS AND SENT THEIR OUTPUTS TO THE STEREO GROUP PRE-MIX BUSS.
    → THE STEREO PANNER FOR BOTH TRACKS DISAPPEARED AND AUDIO FOR BOTH TRACKS BECAME CENTERED MONO FOR BOTH.

I unlinked them and sent them elsewhere and the panners came back.**

It can be that the issue is hardware- or operating system- related, so that will require extra testing and confirming. As soon as the above procedure is completed, the issue is added to this list here and is forwarded to the internal development database at Steinberg. If not mentioned specifically, reports listed here are valid for both Cubase 6 / Cubase Artist 6 and / or operating systems like MAC OS X / PC Windows.

Please note:
A bug isn’t a bug until there is a confirmed step-by-step repro of how to break the system. May I therefore kindly ask you not to start threads like: “BUG!!!” in the title! Most of the time, a question mark is more appropriate. Moderators will look up topics for issue reports in cycles but not on a daily basis. If you feel that no one had any look into your report topic feel free to bump it up after a few days. Please do not put multiple issues into one topic, it is hardly manageable to respond to such topics then. As a rule of thumb: One issue = one forum topic.

bump