Stereo Mastering Template

Can anyone guide me to where I can find instructions on how to use the Stereo Mastering Template from the Hub in Cubase Artist 11 please?

There is not much to it, mate.
There is one stereo audio track to place the audio file on, that you have been given for mastering.
Then there are two plugins loaded on the Stereo Out bus (VST Dynamics and StereoEnhancer).
And the project is set to 44.1kHz and 16 bit.

I doubt anybody, who does real mastering in Cubase will use that template.

1 Like

Johnny…many thanks for your time and advice, appreciate it mate.

Only ever finished tracks using Audio Mixdown and presumed that using any kind of Mastering setup/template, might give me a more professional sound. Since I’ve never ‘Mastered’ and don’t know how to do a ‘real master’ as you say (I know what you mean though). Since I’m just a bedroom musician, feels like spending time on educating myself through the complexities of ‘real mastering’, might be out of my depth :pensive:

Mastering is something that has to be applied to each song individually. There are some common techniques and effects used but you’d still have to tweak the parameters.
It is not easy to learn how to master well. That is why some people get paid good money to do it.

If you watch some videos and read some articles on that topic, my advice would be to listen only to the guys who are mainly talking about mastering and tightly related topics.
If a content creator unveils their mastering expertise on one day while on the next day promoting a midi keyboard and then some creative plugin afterwards I’d stay away from them.

Especially if:

• The room you are trying to master in isn’t acoustically up to snuff
  • The room you are trying to master in is the same room you mixed in
  • The ears you use for mastering are the same ones you used for mixing

A big hunk of mastering is to bring a fresh new and experienced perspective to the task. All (most?) of us at some point or another try and master our own stuff, maybe even with decent results. But I think there is always a bit of self-delusion about what’s happening.

1 Like

Unless you’re charging people serious money for your work, I wouldn’t get too obsessed with mastering. Like the other guys said, if you want proper mastering, go to a professional who knows what they’re doing.
Like any other activity, practice makes, well, better.

1 Like

Hi Johnny, Googly, Raino,

Thanks all for your input and time in doing so. I get it now. Great advice. I’m just gonna stick to what I’ve always done and work on getting a satisfactory ‘Mixdown’. I have gone to pros to Master in the past when I’ve got to this stage but just thought it would be nice to have a go myself with the DAW that I have, but reading your comments, you’re absolutely right all of you. I understand the room thing and moreso Googley, that; you can write a great piece of music, be able to play different instruments etc, etc, but the production side of things is a whole new ball game, one that you have to practice loads and learn, just like we do an instrument. Not into that to be honest, at least not at the level I initially thought I might be able to achieve in my first post.

Onwards and upwards, thank you so much again guys, really appreciated.

Kev

1 Like

I was thinking about this last night and had an idea for a way to start exploring the mastering process. Find a musical friend who also is producing mixes and make each other mastering buddies where you each try and master the other person’s mixes. Then compare notes on how you heard the other person’s mix (i.e. boomy guitar, thin vocal, etc), what you did to adjust the audio, and why you took that approach.

1 Like

If you want to practice using a stranger’s music there’s this site (it’s from the “Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio” site):

https://multitracksearch.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk-search-ads.htm

https://cambridge-mt.com/rs2/bkg/

The first page is a bit anti-deluvian…

3 Likes

Yikes!

Everyone moaning about the graphics in Cubase needs to take a look at that…