Stereo recording and Pan settings

Greetings,

I am working on recording my choir at the school that I teach in. I am using Cubasis 2 with an iPad pro and a PreSonus AudioBox2. I am experimenting with different mike setups and positions. My first experiments were with a single large diaphragm cardioid condenser mike centered on the group and recorded to a mono track.

Today I am using a stereo pair in an XY configuration at ~90 degrees. I have limited recording experience but my understanding is that with stereo recording you want to be able to control the pan settings. If I record a stereo input to a single track is there a way to do this or am I better off recording L & R to separate tracks? Or is there something I’m missing altogether?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Eric

Hi Eric,

Cubasis is capable of up to 24 inputs/outputs depending on the hardware device in use.

The Routing tab in Cubasis’ inspector provides the option to choose a mono or stereo track.
If the device provides multiple ins or outs these are settable below in the Mono Inputs / Outputs panels.
Additionally the channel strips in the mixer comes with a pan control per track.

Best,
Lars

Thanks Lars. If I record in stereo to a single track is there a way to control the Pan of both sides of the stereo input? For example, if I would like the L side panned all the way and the R side panned all the way right can I do that with a stereo track or am I better off recording Left and Right inputs to separate tracks in mono?

Many thanks again,
Eric

Hi Eric,

Both mono and stereo tracks can be panned either to the left or right.

On a side note, Cubasis comes with a PhaseInverter plug-in that might be handy to correct out-of-phase stereo recordings, if required.

Additionally, it might be helpful to browse the web for tipps or tutorials how to record a choir, since there are many options to do this.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars

Excellent. Thank you. For stero tracks, can you control the pan of the left and right channels independently? Everything that I have read suggests that for stereo recording of this type the Left should be panned Hard Left and the Right should be Hard Right. I’m using th XY mic configuration with the mic heads eseemntially on top of each other but aimed at a 90 degree separation.

Thanks again. I appreciate the quick responses.

The phase inverter sounds handy!

Hi Eric,

As stated before, stereo tracks can be panned to the left or right, but not independently.

Best,
Lars

Great. Thanks.

In my limited experience, I believe you should record each mic as a mono track. In mixing pan each track hard right and left and the resulting mix down will accurately give you the stereo x-y results.
Lars mentioned the phase inverter plug in - which can be key to “fixing” x-y recordings - but this only works when applying to one of the mono tracks.
Going direct to a stereo track is going to “set things in stone”, limiting your options in the mix.

Hope that helps