Stereo to Quad (for final mix)

Hi all , I was hoping to simply add some Quad Groups and send audio to them from the Stereo Groups (Via Direct outs) , and create quad stems thats way .
my problem is the Stereo Groups are using outputs 1-2 , which means my Quad (front) outputs can’t use outputs 1-2 as they are assigned to the Stereo :frowning:

So my question is should I set up Quad 1st and then fold down to Stereo which Scoring ? as all Music is created and signed off stereo I really like to stay in stereo, knowing that what I hear the director hears, and as I need to Cubase, I wasn’t really happy working, folding stereo from quad

Been experimenting with quad , seems to be working okay, but I can’t work out how to export stereo from quad ? you can fold Quad to Stereo on the Monitor section , but all exports are quad even when its folder down.

Send quad to its own output that is stereo and that should give you automatic fold down. Then export that output.

Thx for the reply . I don’t seem to be able to route the Quad out to a stereo ?

Go from stereo into a quad group track and from there to two outputs of different widths.

1 Like

Thanks man , I’ll give it a try :slight_smile:

OK so the trick is Summing mode , which I knew nothing about . If you right click, it changes the colour of the direct outs and you can sum Perfect

2 Likes

Ah, yes. I don’t usually go from output to output, so I thought maybe you ran into a limitation there, hence suggesting using a group (which I still think is a good idea).

Also, I really wish they had named “summing mode” something else, since it has nothing to do with summing. More like “multing mode”… but anyway, glad you got it to work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree , multing mode is more like it :slight_smile:

Is this the only way to make quad stems?

What is it you feel is limiting doing it this way?

Not limiting really. I was under the impression that there was, shall we say, a simpler way to print quad stems. Like it was as easy as 1-2-3 boom, there’s quad stems.

In my opinion best practice is to set up a project (and templates) so that you have routing available at all times for the formats you (may) need. If you do that then it’s really that simple.

For TV I set up a project that routed all source material to two full mixes, stereo and surround, and then additionally output stems for mono dialog and narration, and stereo and surround stems for music, effects and submixes. All exported in one go. Up and downmixing automatically within Nuendo.

It’s just a matter of considering what you need and the signal flow and setting that up at the start and you’re good.

1 Like

I agree this is how I have now started working , my only concern is the added Cpu load having 2 mix busses tuning all the time (when I really like to keep things streamlined). Saying that I do t think Cubase used much coy running the mixer , you get losts more power in cubase than Logic X anyway

As far as I can tell problems with audio dropouts usually happen when a single core gets more work than it can handle and the load can’t be spread onto other cores, in other words a single thread is the problem, which in turn typically means one signal chain. So if you set it up so that the mix buses run in parallel that’s not a problem since the two buses would probably create two threads which could then run on separate cores.

You can even try this yourself by looking at the performance meter and simply switch a bus in and out of the audio paths. If you have a bunch of processing on the bus then as you put it in series (one after another) you should see that hit on the meter, but if you switch so they’re parallel the hit should be much lower.

And pure summing is easy for modern CPUs so if that’s what you’re worried about I really don’t think you should (worry about it).