Stereo track into FX Send - panning

Hi,

just one question regarding the FX Send pan (located in the track inspector) in relation to a stereo track feeding into this FX Send.
If the track pan is far left, and I set the FX Send pan to far right - what would be going to happen?

1. Do I hear the far left track signal (according to track pan) being FX processed on the far right side?`
  2. Do I hear the far right track signal (according to FX Send pan) being FX processed on the far right side?

[EDIT: when I only listen to the output of the FX Send channel]

Manual explains that on the FX Send I might expect something on the right side, but it does not explain unfortunately which source side is being taken and which panner is ultimately determining this…

Thanks,
RockIngenieur

Hi,

It depends mainly on the Send level of the original Audio track. If you set the Send Level to 0.00dB, and volume of both Channels to the same value, and there is no effect in the FX Channel, then the result is: in center

Try it yourself:

1. Add an Audio track.
  2. Insert TestGenerator as an Insert effect.
  3. Add an FX Channel, and route the Audio track to the FX, via Send.
  4. Make sure, you set tha Send value to the 0.00dB, and Volumes of both Channels are the same.

Now, if you Insert any effect to the Send, you can hear the clean signal on the left side only, and the effect on the right side only (if you set Mix parameter to 100% on the plug-in effect). This is very often used for Acoustic Guitars, for example.

Btw: I expect, the Send Pannig is set to Center (as it is in default).

Seriously ? Isn’t a Send FX channel (stereo) nothing else than a new Stereo Bus which might contain (Send) Effects as Inserts (inside this FX channel) ??
Assuming Send Level at 0.00 dB and same volume on Stereo track as well as Send FX channel (sorry, haven’t written that assumption explicitly) I would have expected the output on the Send FX (I am referring just to this channel’s output) on the RIGHT side (stereo track pan: far left / Send FX pan: far right).

Question is: If on my stereo track, the left side is containing mono signal “A” and the right side is containing mono signal “B”, which signal (A, B or A+B) do I hear on the FX Send channel… and where…
You say I hear something in center (of the Send FX channel?), but is that A or B?

Cheers,
RockIngenieur

One addition to avoid mix ups: The Send FX pan is not the panner of the Send FX channel itself (as seen in the mixer) in my case, it is the Effect Send pan in the inspector (the tab next to the send level overview) .

Ok, then we are talking about different Panning, probably. You men the one, which appears, if you open Channel Setiings window of the Audio track, and on the right side of EQ, you switch the bottom tab from Destination to Panning, right?

In this case it works like a panner of the track, after the Output to the send. So if you set this panner to the right, then the input signal is in the right channel only in the FX Channel.

Question is: If on my stereo track, the left side is containing mono signal “A” and the right side is containing mono signal “B”, which signal (A, B or A+B) do I hear on the FX Send channel… and where…
You say I hear something in center (of the Send FX channel?), but is that A or B?

Hi

Are you trying to separate left and right from stereo track (A/B)?

You could create two mono FX tracks.
Send your original track to both, but use the sends pannig hard left on one and hard right on the other.
You should get your A on one FX channel and B on the other.

Yes exactly, this is what we are talking about.
So if I have a source stereo track with signal A on the left and signal B on the right being sent to the FX channel, and the above mention panner is on the right, I just hear just signal B being FX-processed; correct?

Was not sure, as you also - could - imagine that the engine is taking a kind of mix (A+B) into the FX send, which is then put into the far right input channel (according to panner) of the FX plugin. (If you making an example where the FX effect is a true stereo reverb, then it might be clearer as it is a big difference putting just B into the right channel of the reverb (which would give a natural result I guess) or a mix of A+B

Yes, that is intended :slight_smile: So if you say that the FX send pan is working exactly this way then I have my solution :slight_smile:

Hi,

one addition to that: you really have to have (amp) plugins who source from both channels… SGear i.e. seems, though it can be inserted into mono AND stereo channels, only to take the left channel…