Still Cannot Run Cubase 10 Elements (Win 8.0)

Hi all,

Just updated Cubase 10 Elements to 10.0.10 on my Win 8.0 machine. Still fails before Hub appears, no Steinberg crash dump, no messages, nothing. I did copy the Temp crash dump created by Windows this time plus two other associated files (xml and txt). I’d be happy to attach these, email to someone, whatever. Please just let me know what to do. Haven’t heard anything back from Support other than that they were really busy at the time of the release. Cubase 9.5 Elements works fine.

Has anyone else gotten this to work under Win 8.0? I cannot upgrade to 8.1 because of some incompatibility problem that is unspecified by MS O/S upgrade — other than “no can do.”

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Dave Clark

Hi,

If you have any older Cubase version installed, try to rename the older Cubase preferences folder (%appData% Steinberg/Cubase X) and rename also your Cubase Elements 10 preferences folder. Then try to start Cubase (with factory settings). Does it work to you?

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your post. Yes, I have tried this many times based on reading this forum previously. I renamed all the preferences folders to xCubasethis and yCubasethat. The result is always a new empty folder “Cubase LE AI Elements 10_64.” I’ve also tried copying various files into it, but that was some time ago so I don’t remember which files. Cubase exits immediately almost like there is a “jmp Exit.” In Process Explorer, I can barely catch it. I see SYNSOPOS.exe and the WerFault.exe also turn red and disappear quickly.

Regards,
Dave Clark

Hi,

The WerFault.exe is used for Windows error reporting. If Synsopos is the left one you can see, then I would say the problem is in the eLicenser Control Center application. Have you tried to reinstall it completely (as administrator), please? Could you try to start eLCC as administrator and run maintenance? Meme sure and Firewall at antivirus don’t block a communication with eLCC.

Hi Martin,

Thanks once again for your post. I uninstalled and re-installed Cubase 10 Elements as Admin, uninstalled and re-installed eLicenser Control Center as Admin and performed Maintenance twice. Everything in the licensing looks fine (as it did previously). Same behavior as I described in my intial post: Immediate crash, no crash dump, etc.

Regards,
Dave Clark

Hi all,

I found that the incompatibility stopping the upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 had to do with the system disk MBR. I use grub as the boot loader, but the upgrade restarts without going through the BIOS and assumes a Microsoft MBR. After successfully upgrading to Win 8.1 and re-installing eLicenser, I was able to bring up Cubase 10 Elements. The problem with Cubase 10 Element is that it uses 2017 redistributables which appear to be incompatible with Win 8.0 in the way these are used by Cubase, something that few if any people at Steinberg know is a problem. VS 2017 is not compatible with Win 8.0; for example VS 2017 Community requires at least Win 8.1.

Regards,
Dave Clark

Hi,

Good to know, thank you for the info.

Hi all,

Today I received an email from Steinberg Support telling me that Cubase 10 is not supported for Windows 8.0 but is supported for 8.1 (both of which I figured out for myself). Unfortunately, they have not yet spread the news any farther than me from what I see tonight. On their Comparison web page:

they say that for Windows and for all versions of Cubase 10: “Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 8 (64-bit), Windows 10 (64-bit).” Sweetwater says: “Windows 7 SP1 or later.” Musician’s Friend says: “64-Bit 7/8.x/10.” Hopefully these requirements will be updated.

Just a word of warning for the unwary potential customer. Now if anyone does get it working on Windows 8.0, please do let Steinberg know.

Regards,
Dave Clark

hey! Much appreciated for your post. I uninstalled and re-introduced Cubase 10 Elements as Admin, uninstalled and re-introduced eLicenser Control Center as Admin and performed Maintenance twice. Everything in the permitting looks fine (as it did already). Same conduct as I depicted in my initial post: Immediate accident, no accident dump, and so forth.