Still can't convert this Dorico 4.3 score to Dorico 5 - Endpoint configuration issue?

Hi!

I’m running the latest version of Dorico 5 on Windows 10, and I use it with Vienna Ensemble Pro 7, all on the same machine.
I created several orchestral templates in Dorico 4, along with a few custom xMaps that work quite well for Spitfire, VSL and other libraries. I had no issue opening these templates in Dorico 5 except for one (attached). It crashes at 84%, as has been reported in other posts on this forum.

I followed the recommendations and applied the Silence playback template. And the score finally opened in Dorico 5. But when I tried to apply my custom Playback Template, it crashed.
I opened it again in Silence mode, then created a fresh new playback template and started routing staves to channels. After a few instruments I opened the Endpoint Configuration window and started setting the matching xMaps. And when I clicked Save in the Endpoint Configuration window, Dorico 5 crashed again.

Could it be my xMaps ? I don’t like the idea of recreating them, they took me quite some time as you imagine :smiley:

I’m attaching the faulty score (Dorico 4.3 version) and the crash dump. Maybe you can shed some light on this issue.

Thanks a lot!

Template and Dump.zip (1.5 MB)

Your project opens up just fine here, Esther, so whatever is going on is presumably linked somehow to the local circumstances of your configuration. We’ll need to dig a bit deeper to understand what’s happening.

The little “freezedump” file you included in your zip file isn’t specifically indicative of a problem: if the audio engine is frozen for even a few hundred milliseconds, it will dump out those kinds of files so that our engine team can diagnose what caused the failure in consistent real-time processing if necessary, but it wouldn’t be responsible for the project failing to open and Dorico crashing.

Can you do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and either attach it here or email it to me at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de so I can get a closer look at what’s going on? I guess the zip file will be too large to attach here if it contains actual crash dumps for either or both Dorico and the audio engine.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.4 MB)

It’s not that big actually! I have now idea how these reports work so I reproduced the crash just before creating the diagnostic in case it helps.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks, Esther. Unfortunately, there are still no crash logs contained within the diagnostics file. Can you please try following the steps under Dorico is crashing. What do I do? in the FAQ thread linked below to add the required Windows Registry keys to hopefully force your computer to start creating the expected dump files?

Thanks a lot for your patience and your help, Daniel.

I added the registry key, a crash dump was created and now the diagnostic zip is much bigger. I’m sending it everything by email right now :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for sending me your diagnostics via email, Esther. I’m afraid your project is triggering a known bug that we had thought we had completely fixed in Dorico 5.0.20, but discovered that there are still some projects that can trigger the problem. It concerns the calculation of playing technique regions for playback, so unfortunately there’s not really a great deal you can do.

For the time being I don’t think you have much choice but to continue to work on this project in Dorico 4 rather than Dorico 5. I’m really sorry for the inconvenience caused. This problem should be comprehensively solved in the next update, when it comes (though I’m afraid it’s not imminent).

Thank you very much for investigating this, Daniel, and I’m sorry it turns out you’re still having issues with this nasty bug.

I’ll continue working in Dorico 4.3 with this template for the time being and wait for the update.

Have a great day!

Hello, Daniel. I just had the same problem but on a MacBook Pro. A 4.3 file opened but then it froze. I had to Force Quit. I reopened it and SAVED AS, but the new file has no audio. Then I closed it and reopened it. Now it has sound.

Are we all to wait to open older files until the update comes out?

Here is the diagnostic report after I saved as:
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.2 MB)

Thanks for direction.

Your diagnostics don’t provide any clues as to what might have happened, I’m afraid, Judith. If you can reproduce the problem with Dorico freezing when opening a specific project, please attach the project.