Still confused about voice layers...how do use voices to not get extra rests

In the picture below, 3rd bar, that half rest is unnecessary. I think its there because the up-stem voice in pink was entered second, but I don’t know how to do this correctly to avoid the rests. How can I fix this? Please help!

I colored the voice layers below to help understand what’s up.

Note, the vibes voice in blue was entered as a down-stem voice. The pink was up-stem and the second voice created. I think that’s why but I don’t know how to fix it. Also worth noting, the previous bar is the first bar of the piece, so I think that’s why it doesn’t have the half rest.

And the file…

Lester Leaps In.dorico (1.0 MB)

Select the rests you want to remove then Edit > Remove Rests. Since that voice re-enters in Bar 4, the Ends voice property is not set.

If you wanted to do this manually, you would select last red note in bar 2, open the Properties Panel and enabler the Ends voice property.

1 Like

Ok…this totally worked!

Would there have been a better way to enter the notes the first time to avoid the extra rests altogether?

The only way to really avoid it would have other drawbacks. You would have to create the notes in Bar 3 in the same voice, then tie to a different voice in Bar 4. The Remove Rests command was created to make dealing with this easier.

2 Likes

Ok then! So I did it correctly. I just needed to understand the Remove Rests tool.

Thanks @Craig_F!

1 Like