Stopped functioning with interface

I am experiencing something similar on my 2018 iPad Pro with my Behringer XR18 mixer.

I plug the USB into my work Mac and Zoom sees the XR18 every single time.

Cubasis will only see the XR18 consistently when I connect via an Apple USB-C multimedia adapter. I have two other USB-C “dongle” devices, which are otherwise perfectly reliable. MIDI connects consistently, but not Cubasis. I don’t have the options to select the normal 18 mono channels in a track’s “Routing” dialog.

@Michael_TX, have you tried connecting with a different USB cable or adapter?

I have similar problems (see my post)
I can’t click the Output field and I can’t select the UR-44. It is also not saved for restart

I’ve been connectd directly with a USB-C cable Behringer has a power supply, but I have been able to record with the power supply removed on it before.
At your suggestion I tried going through a hub with a regular USB cable. Still operating the same. Works still in other DAWs but not Cubasis. Thanks for the suggestion, but nno luck.
I have seen suggestions to use a stand between powered hub on some Presonus devices to fix things. I dont currently have one. I might try that, but my issue is that I have been operating fine and the issue just arose???

Furthermore, when I switch it to use my interface in Cubase it stops the other programs, i.e. mediaplay, from being able to play via the USB Interface. ???

To get audio throught the interface again I must close Cubasis and rehook up the interface. All goes back to playing fine then.

@Michael_TX you and I are using very different platforms (Android vs IOS) so many things may be different.

That said, this behavior is relatively new for me as well.

In my setup, the key to reliably connecting was using the Apple-branded adapter. I assume there is some similar trick for your device.

One thing that I’ve seen consistently is to use a high-quality, powered hub and the best cables. There are real differences between USB cables, and it can be hard to tell which are really good. Many of the cheap ones available on Amazon may look nicely made, but don’t meet some kind of required spec.

Hi @dovjgoldman, Hi @Michael_TX,

Thanks for your messages.

@dovjgoldman
Reading through your comments, things seem to work as expected when not using a Hub to connect the UR interface to the iOS device, correct? So the issue seems unrelated to Cubasis in your case.

@Michael_TX
You may check if using a different cable resolves the issue. In addition, please note that we release the next update very soon, which you could give another try as well. Please keep me updated!

Thanks
Lars

Hi @Michael_TX,

One additional question: did updating to Android 13 introduced the issue?

Thanks,
Lars

LSlowak, Thanks for the responce.
Android 13 update is one possiblity. I did just review my updates and the date it updated was around the same time the issue appeared.
I will also note in the other DAWs I’m getting a note upon loadup with the interface that it may need an exterior power source. I did not get this note prior to the update, but it still fuunctions properly in the other DAWs. The Behringer interface is powered externally and appears to be functioning exactly as before. Funtioning with the power adapter only.

I do not believe it is a cable issue. In other DAWs I’m able to use not only the same interface, but also an additional USB interface(Digitec RP360 - Gutar FX/USB). That interface also has the same issue in Cubasis. Does not show automatically set as the audio output and when selected stops all audio output from the device(even outside Cubasis.)

Thank you. I do look forward to the Cubasis update. LOVING IT!!! Other than this issue of course.

There does appear to be a significate change in A13 audio routing features.
From Android 13 update features list:
" Anticipatory audio routing

*To help media apps identify how their audio is going to be routed, Android 13 introduces audio route APIs in the AudioManager class. The getAudioDevicesForAttributes() API allows you to retrieve a list of devices that may be used to play the specified audio, and the getDirectProfilesForAttributes() API helps you understand whether your audio stream can be played directly. Use these APIs to determine the best AudioFormat to use for your audio track."

Hi @Michael_TX,

Thanks for your feedback which has been shared with our engineering.

Please note that Cubasis 3.5 has been released this morning (click to learn more). Does using the update resolve your current issues?

Thanks
Lars

Thank you.

I did update Cubasis. Still operating the same. No Audio. It crashed once. As in rebooted the tablet.
I was able to get the Digitech RP360 USB to function as it should. Yeah! Still same issues with the Behringer UMC404HD though. I will be trying to come up with a powered usb hub between the device and the tablet, but simplicity is the whole purpose of what I’ve got setup.
Behringer 404 still functioning as intended on other DAWs on the tablet.
Thanks for keeping me updated and the advice is much appreciated.

P.S. The entry hub on 3.5 is a nice addition. I so so hope we can get some expanded tempo features in the next update. Markable tempo changes and more than 1/4 note measures. Exportable Click track.

Thank you.

I did update Cubasis. Still operating the same. No Audio. It crashed once. As in rebooted the tablet.
I was able to get the Digitech RP360 USB to function as it should. Yeah! Still same issues with the Behringer UMC404HD though. I will be trying to come up with a powered usb hub between the device and the tablet, but simplicity is the whole purpose of what I’ve got setup.
Behringer 404 still functioning as intended on other DAWs on the tablet.
Thanks for keeping me updated and the advice is much appreciated.

P.S. The entry hub on 3.5 is a nice addition. I so so hope we can get some expanded tempo features in the next update. Markable tempo changes and more than 1/4 note measures. Exportable Click track.

@Michael_TX, I have the Behringer UMC1820, and these devices have a rare and minor volume bug when using it with Cubasis. You might try setting your iPad volume from 0% to 100%.
Hope this helps.

[edit] Oops, I didn’t know Cubasis runs on Android too!

@MarcelX
Appreciate the advice. Looking for any Ideas. That is something I have tried.

Yeah the Android has been doing great for me on this. Just trying to find out this issue.

@LSlowak
In doing more reading on A13 Update on Samsung I found multiple people who recently updated having issues with enabled Bluetooth and audio disruptions. In airplane mode I was able on a couple occasions to have Cubasis momentarily use the Behringer UMC404 to playback(aprox 3 secs). At which time the tablet shutsdown and reboots. But again I’m only having this occur in Cubasis. Largely sharing for Steingerg Engineers at this point.

@LSlowak I did a tech support chat with Samsung. They weren’t able to come up with anything. Also I’m not real confident in the techy. Their only options were sending it in for repair or discounted upgrade of the Tab. Lol. Also stated there was no changes in audio routing setup in 13. And that after the reset of defaults and Soft Reset of all app settings, the only other problem could be it needed to be repaired. Not even acknowledging it worked in other app enviroments and worked prior to the upgrade. Anyway…

I further explored my own troubleshooting and have noted on my LG g8 phone with Andriod 10 I’m still able to use the Behringer UMC404 with Cubasis 3.4. Zero issues and I’m confident I’d be able to upgrade to 3.5 and it would work as well.

Further in reguards to noted changes when using Android 13 on the Samsung Tab S7 Plus. On loadup of each other DAW I use I noticed each time they acknowledge the audio output is set to Andriod Audio and inquire if I would like to switch it to USB audio device. This was automatically the case prior to the upgrade to Android 13. My thought is a protocol to always default to Andriod Audio is a protocol change in 13 when loading an app. Maybe just on some devices only… idk. Just sharing my intel.

Lars, Just sharing my musings.

Peace,
Michael

Hi @Michael_TX,

The topic is in evaluation/discussion, we will soon get back to you.

Best,
Lars

Just to add that following recent Android 13 update on my Samsung S21 Ultra, neither of my Focusrite USB interfaces (gen 1 and gen 3) are emitting any audio from Cubasis.

I can select the interfaces in Cubasis by their name but no sound.

Odd that Cubasis displays the interfaces in the audio options but no sound.

MIDI works OK.

Have tried various OTG connectors and cables but no success.

Worked OK prior to Android 13.

I can get sound through both USB interfaces with YouTube and other applications but not Cubasis.

Thank you

Hi @robinwebb,

Please have a look at the following article:
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/cubasis-for-android-audio-device-issues-when-using-android-13/823920/2

Thanks
Lars