Stradivari Violin Native Instruments Kontakt Playback

I spent over three hours with dear @Paolo_T on zoom adapting the expression map (that @Thurisaz made for the Stradivari Violin) to work on Dorico without Vienna Ensemble Pro. Thank you so much Paolo!

Some things now sound A LOT better than with NotePerformer. (Such as staccato, tremolo and pizzicato.) Unfortunately, many slured melodic lines now have a sort of glissando between the notes which sounds kinda drunk… :sweat_smile:

Do you know how I could change that?

Felix, thank you for your kind words!

Something I will have to check later, but just an idea: the Virtuoso patch, in the Cremona Stradivari, behaves exactly this way — fingered legato at low dynamics, portamento at higher dynamics.

I’m not sure the expression map makes use of it, but maybe. And maybe this is also how the other Sustain articulations behave, even if not as explicitly.

Paolo

1 Like

Hello @Felix_Turrion and @Paolo_T,
@Felix_Turrion, thank you for appreciating my contribution to the community! :slight_smile:

Just to make things more clear about my template, especially when it comes to the “Virtuoso” patch. I left this patch not assigned to the Expression Maps, because it is designed for real-time performance. My decision to leave it loaded was just in case someone would like to use it for real-time performance, or during real-time recording. :slight_smile:

@Felix_Turrion, if Virtuoso patch is loaded, you could just unload it and then try again. This will help you identify where this glissando issue comes from.
Here everything with the slurred notes works as expected. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

1 Like

just thinking – both Cinematic Studio libraries and newer Spitfire libraries automatically use portamento below a velocity of 20. LASS is similar. Berlin apparently invokes it at high velocity. Surely this is likely to be the way forward (if you haven’t already sorted it with Paolo’s hint along similar lines)

The Cremona Quartet allows for choosing the direction (portamento to the high or low dynamic notes). So, it must be a matter of taste or context.

The velocity switch can also be programmed. Moving it to the extremes will deactivate it. Maybe this is something @Felix_Turrion can try, if using the Virtuoso patch. However, I can’t find this parameter in the normal Sustain patches.

Paolo

I was looking at the NI Stradivari Cello (as I no longer use Spitfire as they threw Christian Henson under the bus), but this all looks way too complicated for me. If I choose, say Marcato, I have to create some mapping somewhere, right?

As with any instrument you just need a decent Expression Map - @Thurisaz has posted some for the Cremona quartet instruments, including the Stradivari Cello.

How long is it on sale?

I can send you my modified version of Thurisaz’s expression maps (mine does not require VEPro and I have saved the instruments’ setti gs so that you don’t have any mapping to do). Just ask.

Summer of Sound – Check their website; I think it goes for a week or two more.

By the way – in case this hasn’t been established – Cremona Quartet allows up to 32 keyswitch slots (8x4). Symphony Series, just the 8.

Yes, that sounds great. Thank you. I’ll PM you and give it a go next weekend.

I just recently acquired the Stradavari violin - and I can see that it can have 4 x 8 sets of articulations setup now, looks like the need to have multiple instances has been removed.