Strange articulation behaviour

Hi there,
I try to set up an expression map for a ewql violin. First, i created a expression map and assigned some articulations to it. But some of them dont show up in the articulation lane in the piano roll (see pic). What did i miss here? Thanks folks!

Try inserting an additional technique change back to “nat.” before each change of playing technique.

Daniel, I missed you at NAMM unfortunately. I was there by an invitation from Don Williams, but was able to meet with several developers (software and sample libraries) and would have loved sitting down to chat. Maybe next year. :wink:

So I’m also seeing strange behavior with trying to switch techniques.

  1. Mine aren’t in the piano roll either.
  2. The techniques aren’t triggering the mapped MIDI data correctly.

My test map:

At first I didn’t have the “ord.” or “Natural” technique marked. I thought the same thing you suggested, tried it, and it’s still off.

What happens without it:
The 1st “mute off” sent the keyswitch
The 1st “mute on” sent the keyswitch
The second two didn’t

With “ord.” added, the 2nd “mute off” sends, but not the final “mute on”.

Let me know if I can add any other info to help here. :slight_smile:


This is the same basic problem as you’re discussing in this thread: even though it’s obvious to you and me, Dorico doesn’t know that “mute” and “mute off” (which send the playing techniques “mute” and “open” respectively) are opposites, so it doesn’t know that it needs to switch off “mute” in order to switch on “open” – instead, it ends up looking for “mute+open”, which is nonsensical. Dorico needs to be taught about which playing techniques are opposites of each other, or at least which ones are mutually exclusive with each other (consider a group like arco, pizz., left-hand pizz., col legno, tremolo, con sord., senza sord. etc. and how some of them can be combined – e.g. pizz. and con sord. – and some cannot – e.g. pizz. and col legno). This is something that we will do as soon as we can, but until then you will find that you need to employ a “nat.” or “ord.” before practically any change of technique to get a halfway sensible result. Obviously we do not consider this an ideal state of affairs, but it requires time and effort to improve it.


Thanks for the info and sorry for the duplicate post. I simply realized my reply here seemed a bit off topic to the original point and still wanted to address my concerns more thoroughly. Thanks!