Strange behavior with Cues and rests

In the attached image “bass rest”, there’s a rest on beat four in the acoustic bass part, beneath the flute cue.

The bass actually plays there, but I can’t include the bass note because it would be in the treble clef, which would be disorienting. The bass note is not really needed, in any case, since it’s part of a continuing ostinato which was notated just three measures earlier.

(Not visible in the screen shots is a text instruction to continue the same part.)

If I use “remove rest” (or manually “end voice”), Dorico pads out the flue cue with rests earlier in the measure, as shown in the image “bass rest removed.”

This makes no sense to me. Am I missing something? Or is it a bug?

I thought maybe it inadvertently moved the cue boundary to beat 1 of the measure, but that’s not the case.

I can’t remove the cue rests in the bass part, and if I remove them in the flute part, it results in an incomplete measure for the flute player.

My solution was to creat at cue manually by copying the flute line into the bass staff, transpose it down until it only required one ledger line, and reduce it to cue size. This is probably a better option, as some bass players don’t read treble clef.
Bass-rest.jpg
Bass-rest-removed.jpg
bass-cue-solution.jpg

Select the cue (i.e. the “Fl…” text) and open the properties panel.

Set the “transposed clef” to Bass, and you probably want to change the octave transposition to avoid a crazy number of leger lines for the cue.

I don’t really understand what happened with the rests, but there is also a “hide rests around cue” property.
Cue.png

Thanks, Rob! I hadn’t noticed the “hide rests around cue” property - that’s great!

These properties would solve the problem, but I suspect “22ma” would be puzzling, as it’s not something these musicians (playing Cuban dance music) are accustomed to seeing. I’ll probably leave my manual cue in place, but I’m glad to know these options are there if I need them.

There is another property option to hide the “22ma”.

Great!

Lesson learned: I need to slow down and study the Properties window more carefully next time I’m problem-solving.

It’s also true that in my particular case, manually copying the cue is simpler than using Dorico’s cues and then changing four settings in Properties. I’m sure Dorico’s cue features are great for large scores with lots of cues, though.

Thanks again, Rob!