Strange Behavior with Natural Accidental

Hello,

I’ve noticed some strange behavior with the natural accidental:

I have an A eighth note at the beginning of a measure with an natural accidental. If I select the note I see that the natural accidental is selected in the panel on the left. If try to de-select the natural sign in the panel on the left, nothing happens, the A eighth note with the natural remains.

If I change the natural accidental to a flat or a sharp accidental on the same A eighth note, then de-select the flat or sharp accidental, it reverts to the A with the natural accidental. Just can’t get rid of it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Tony Ventura

Hi Tony,

This sounds as though it’s a cautionary accidental: presumably you have an A sharp or an A flat in the previous bar? If that’s not a behaviour you want in general, go to Write > Notation Options and choose “Accidentals” from the list of categories and choose “No cautionary” from the “Notes at the same octave in the following bar” section.

If, on the other hand, it’s just a single note whose accidental you want to hide, you can do that from the properties panel at the bottom. Select the note in question, open up the properties panel and in the “Notes and Rests” section, switch on the “Accidental” setting and change its value to “Hide”.

I hope that one of those options should do what you’re after.

Thanks!
Michael

Be careful if you hide accidentals with the properties panel. If you then edit the music (e.g. by inserting some notes) so that the accidental needs to be displayed for a human reader, it will stay hidden - but Dorico will still play back the hidden accidental correctly, so you might not notice the problem!

Thank you for providing help on my “sticky” natural accidental issue. It gets stranger.

When the natural accidental is being used in a cautionary accidental context, I am easily able to turn off (only to prove that I can turn off the natural accidental) the natural accidental. It is only when there is definitely no need to have the “cautionary” accidental that I can’t get rid of it, unless of course by going to the properties window, which I don’t think you should have to do.

Thank you,
Tony

Perhaps you could attach a simple project showing the situation under which you don’t think the accidental should appear, and we could take a look and see if we can figure out why Dorico thinks it should be there?

Hi Daniel,

I tried to upload my short Dorico project as an attachment, but I’m getting a message stating, “The extension dorico is not allowed”. Is there a recommended “temporary” extension I can change my Dorico project to or maybe another way to send the file to you?

Thanks,
Tony Ventura

Turn your Dorico file into a zip file. That works.

Thank you Derrek for the suggestion to use zip file extension.

Attached is the file exhibiting strange natural accidental behavior [in my opinion].

Thanks
Tony Ventura
Dorico F BLUES ETUDE NO. 1.zip (289 KB)

Certainly from looking at your file all of the naturals look like cautionaries to me. Have you tried changing the settings on the Accidentals page of Notation Options? There are some very comprehensive options for the circumstances under which Dorico should show accidentals there.

Also, you might want to hide the staff labels in this project: go to the Staves and Systems page of Layout Options to do so.

Daniel,

Your suggestion to look at the Accidentals page of Notation Options was perfect. I flipped the Accidental toggle to enabled with the Hide option and that removed that cautionary accidentals that I didn’t want to appear.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Tony

Michael & Rob Tuley

Thank you both for your suggestions on “Hide” ing the accidental via the Properties panel.

Tony Ventura