Strange behaviors with multiple voices

Hello everyone!

I am seeing some strange behaviors in multi-voice staves while working on a reduced SATB score (two staves)…

First, the triplet positioning is off by default—the default up-stem voice is correct, but the default down-stem voice has it on top as well, which creates confusion… I have manually placed it underneath, but I thought the software should know to do this by itself, no?

TRIPLET Positioning.png

Then, when copying and pasting «or» alt-clicking, Dorico writes one voice properly while completely disregarding the triplets in the other, resulting in some strange music… for example, copying from—

COPY+PASTE Source.png
and pasting later in the score, results in:

COPY+PASTE Destination.png
Is this a bug?

I also find it weird that Up-Stem Voice 1 in two different staves have different colors, and Down-Stem Voice 1 the same (e.g. piano, top staff: USV1=blue and DSV1=purple; bottom staff: USV1=pink (rather than blue!) and DSV1=green (rather than purple!). Shouldn’t all the USV1 notes have the same color, all DSV1 the same, and so on for the entire project???

As an aside, I am having a hard time working with voices—creating a new voice seemed straightforward enough, but after some copying and pasting and entering of notes, I noticed I had already 2 up-stem and 2 down-stem voices created and the input caret was showing “3+”… Anyway I turned on View > Voice Colors and used filtering with right-click > Voices > Change Voice > (etc) to fix all the voices, but I’m still not sure how I ended up with a fruit salad on my screen… Will try to be more careful from now on to see if I did something wrong, but any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Thiago Tiberio

When you want to create a second (downstem) voice, use SHIFT-V.
But to return to that second voice after a break (measures of rest) do not type the SHIFT, just type V.

Thanks Derrek, I knew that… but still managed to mess it up somehow! :confused:

And now that you mentioned it, here’s one question which has been bothering me: after typing SHIFT-V for the first time (so cursor shows DSV1 with a + symbol) how do you go back to the “regular” mode? Pressing V has no effect, and pressing SHIFT-V starts a new voice, effectively USV2—as you correctly pointed out.

TT

If you find yourself having inadvertently pressed Shift+V, you can simply press Esc to leave note input and then press Return to re-enter note input again at that point.

As for your copy and paste problems, are you sure that you are selecting both voices, and both tuplet brackets? If you hide one of the tuplet brackets, make sure you also show its signpost (View > Signposts > Tuplets) because if you can’t see and select the signpost or the bracket it represents, when you copy and paste you will only paste the notes from inside the tuplet and not the tuplet itself, resulting in the notes becoming unscaled on paste as you have seen.

Hi Daniel! Yes, as far as I can tell I am selecting everything in the bar, even lyrics:

TUPLET selection.png
Strange, right?

The voices belong to the instrument (which has two staves) not to the staves.

If you ever use cross-staff notes, this makes it easier to see which voice and which staff the notes “really” belong to.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense—a very good reason to have them colored differently! Thanks, Rob. —π