Strange behaviour in full screen on Mac

On my Mac, when Dorico is running full screen (using the native fullscreen mode), closing the current project using Close Project incorrectly leaves behind its fullscreen workspace, rather than allowing the OS to close it. The orphaned workspace is black, and can’t be accessed or closed by any method I’ve found – any attempt to access it immediately switches to the next Dorico window, or back to the desktop if there are no others.

If ‘When the last window is closed’ in Dorico’s preferences is set to ‘Show the Steinberg Hub’, then Dorico generates a new workspace when the old project is closed, filled with a massively enlarged version of the hub. If it’s set to ‘Do nothing’, then it doesn’t generate anything, leaving only its the black workspace artefact behind, and the only way I’ve found to get back into Dorico in this situation is to quit and relaunch the application.

Is this a general problem with how Dorico interacts with Mac full screen mode, or is there something strange about my specific setup?

Thanks!

I’ve experienced that, too. I was able to close the workspace through “Mission Control” (swipe four fingers up on trackpad). You have all workspaces at the top and hovering over one with the pointer, you get an “x” icon to close it.

It’s a bug in the Qt application framework that Dorico uses. It’s on their radar but as yet remains unsolved. As and when they fix the problem, we will pick up the fix and include it in a future update.

Thanks!

This is maybe an unrelated issue. In full-screen mode on my Mac laptop (Dorico 3), the menu bar disappears as expected, but the entire window moves up a menu bar’s worth. So instead of more screen at the bottom, there is a dark grey bar, the same height as a menu bar but on the bottom. Has anyone else encountered this?

I’m having other strange f11 behavior – but on Windows. Sometimes the Dorico viewport (if using the term correctly) doesn’t include the bottom. So I press f11. Nothing happens. Press f11 again and now it goes to the pre-full screen window, which is smaller. Then press f11 a third time, where I can correctly see all of Dorico (including the little arrow that displays/hides the properties panel).

I notice that while in full screen, if I display the properties panel using the arrow, then this problem starts. There may be other scenarios too, I’ll start paying attention. It’s almost acting like there are three display modes: full screen, not full screen, and a funny third fullscreen one that is slightly bigger than my display, so I can’t see all of it.

Is this related to the QT framework bug?

There are certainly three possible states for the Dorico window: full-screen, maximised, and then just at an arbitrary size or position (which is what you get if you choose Restore from the window system menu, or click the window size widget immediately to the left of the close button when the window is maximised). When you come out of full-screen mode, Dorico will try to restore the previous state, so if the window was previously maximised it will return to that state.

So 4 years later and it still isn’t fixed

I’m afraid that’s right, at least for the version of Qt that we are currently using. (This is the issue in question.) We are planning to make the move to Qt 6 in future, but it’s not straightforward, because some things that we rely on for functionality on Windows has been removed from the newer version.