Strange behaviour of Audio > Advanced > Close Gaps (Crossfade)

Hi there!

I just stumbled upon a problem, which may cause (if confirmed) badly edited drums and other group edits.

I am editing a drum multitrack with Group Editing, applying Hitpoints and slicing. Everything okay up to this point. After cuantizing the audio slices I usually apply “DELETE OVERLAPS” and afterwards "CLOSE GAPS (CROSSFADES), to optimize the edited audio.

Strangely, Cubase 11 behaves differently to Cubase 10.

In Cubase 10, a small overlap is created on applying (CLOSE GAPS (CROSSFADES), and this overlap only is used to crossfade between clips. In Cubase 11 though, the crossfade is applied to the whole clip, meaning that it applies a much longer crossfade, and in its effect, it eliminates transients and introduces phase problems.

Below you can see the difference between both used Cubase versions. It`s the exactly same project/tracks in both pictures.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Roger

Hi,

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Hello Martin!

Just opened Cubase Pro 11 in Safe mode, and the error is gone. I started Cubase Pro again, in normal mode, and the behaviour re-appears. Do you know, which preference must be changed to avoid this behaviour in the future?

All the best.

Roger

Hi,

Unfortunately I have no idea, sorry.

Hi Martin!

Alright, don´t worry. I still have Cubase 10 installed, which will be used for this special purpose, until we have a fix.
See you, and thanks for your assistance.

Roger

Hi,

I don’t think it’s on Cubase side, I mean, there is nothing to fix in Cubase. If you would trash your Cubase 11 preferences, it would work. So I think, something gets wrong with your preferences. Btw, if you delete Cubase 11 preferences, your Cubase 10 preferences will be merged to Cubase 11 (during the very 1st start), so you wouldn’t loose anything.

Hi Martin,

I guess, that`s what I am going to do…after careful check of my current preferences.
All the best.

Roger