Strange heating behaviour with Dorico 5 and MacBookPro16,1 (2019 model)

Every time I run Dorico 5, my MBP get heating, and start to hear the fans noise, even after updating to version 5.1. I’m not sure what’s wrong here… should I re-install everything from scratch? Or get some new M1 or M2 MBP? It looks for me like it uses lot of power resource.

1 Like

I would start Activity Monitor and see which are the most CPU consuming processes.

1 Like

Those 2019 Intel MBPs are ovens, though; particularly the i9s.

But, yeah – see how much CPU they are actually using in Activity Monitor. Don’t forget that the % values are per core, e.g. 100% is 1 core.

2 Likes

I had the same problem with the same computer (2019 MBP, 16 inch), although it has been a lot better lately; I installed Turbo Boost Pro a couple of years ago and that helped a lot.

But after updating the MacOS I’m not sure if Turbo Boost Pro works anymore. Nevertheless I haven’t had the fan come on in quite awhile.

1 Like

I have the feeling I have the fans most of the time. I wish I had waited a good year to upgrade :see_no_evil::triumph:

1 Like

We have some of those MacBook Pros in the team, and what we have found is that if you can open them up and clear out the fans of all the accumulated dust and other crud that builds up in there, the machine runs much cooler and more quietly afterwards. It’s quite an involved process, though, and not for the faint of heart. iFixit has a guide to help you do it.

3 Likes

Dear @Stephen_Taylor !

I must say that your hint saved my macbook pro health, I used to charge it twice or 3 times a day, with Turbo Boost Switcher Pro, it’s runing since 09H30 till now 16H48 and the battery is just 75%.

I can’t thank you enough for your help Stephen.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel! Very good idea indeed, I used to do the same cleaning years ago when I was using windows laptops, now with a macbookpro, I’m not sure… but… I will give it a try someday. Merci encore!

Marc! try Turbo Boost Switcher Pro.

1 Like

That’s because you’re reducing the clock speed of the CPU from 4.8 GHz to 2.3GHz – more than halving your computer’s performance!

Hi Ben, :rofl: :melting_face: but it looks lik TBSPro runs everything smoothly, :wink:

By they way, this is my macbookpro infos:

FWIW when I’ve used Turbo Boost Pro I’ve never noticed any performance lag with Dorico, or anything else.

1 Like

Same remark! indeed.

1 Like

Dear Daniel,

I’ve just done it (dismantle my macbook pro) and I agree: it’s not for the faint of heart!!! Luckily for me, everything seems to have gone well and the mac is on again. It took me no less than four hours to dismantle it, remove the cooling paste and put a new one on the processor, and remove all the dust from the fans (it was just filled with dust, to be exact). I hope I won’t hear the noise again soon.

3 Likes