Strange lane behavior in Cubase 6.0.1 Pre-release (Windows)

Well I hope you keep looking, because we are not imagining this !!

Nobody ever wrote that anybody is imagining this so don’t imply that with your general aggressive negative polemic troll like attitude you sometimes like to put out.

Plus you can definitely repro the extra problem I outline above - dragging muted parts to another location within the lanes should NOT cause auto muting and unmuting! This is neither logical or useful ! (in fact it is very very unhelpful) Why on earth should moving a part affect it’s (and others) mute status) ??? It’s crazy!

Like a real troll you randomly write words in capital letters ONLY and use multiple punctuation marks as this sentence exemplifies!!! And what is up with the multiplication signs framing the can? :neutral_face:

What you are referring to however is a different topic you brought up that is not related to the op. This is already reported to the respective departments.

In some cases it is ok that a dragged muted event is unmuted afterwards because there are not many users that just drag around muted events in there arrangement to just keep them muted. Trolls like to express themselves by using uncompromising formulations. That’s why cases in which the drag and drop mute behavior might make sense are not covered in your post and you just bash with no consideration and balance. Let’s not discuss muting behavior any further in this thread. Stay on topic.

----------------------------------------------

If anybody finds a working repro to the problem explained in the first post here is a good place to put it.
To clarify, indeed this remains at my attention and I will search to reproduce.

Thank you for all your efforts so far,
Gr,
JHP

Just have to say that Jan has tirelessly tried to repro just about every issue brought forth. Attacking him is like attacking your best ally, IMHO. He should be applauded for his efforts. If he says he can’t repro the issue, I’d take him at his word and try to find the missing link in the repro chain so it can be nailed down or explained.

Keep up the good work, Jan. It is appreciated.

Excuse me, mitten, but I am not attacking JHP.
Where in my message is this so-called attack? Please quote me the part you consider “an attack”.

Hi Johnny Z ,

1. I opened your test project.

2. For the first track, the blue one, I sorted the messiness so I dropped all the take 1’s on lane 1, the take 2’s on lane 2 and so on …

3. I ended up with 6 lanes, with the sixed being the empty one.

4. I saved the project, closed it and reloaded it.

Problem: The messiness was back and I ended up with 16 lanes again.
For this I have issued a report (29085).

The problem remains. We do not have a repro to the problem. I still can’t reproduce this with any new project in Cubase 6.02. If anybody can workout a repro for the problem mentioned in the op in 6.02 please drop hit here.

Please answer these questions:
Is the test project “Lane Test.cpr” a 100% from 6.02 or could it be that it was created in an earlier version and then later saved in 6.02?
When you create a new project do you use a certain template?
Do you maybe use custom templates?
Do you choose empty project when you create a new project?
Maybe the problem could be related to outdated project templates that where created in an earlier version but I’m not sure.

Gr,
JHP

Never addressed you or quoted you, spoke in general. :unamused:

[edit] the link was deleted so I’ve removed the post.

JHP,

Sorry for the delayed response - I was out of town for a while.

I do have an interesting update for you on this issue, but first I’ll answer your questions:

Is the test project “Lane Test.cpr” a 100% from 6.02 or could it be that it was created in an earlier version and then later saved in 6.02?
It was created in 6.02. I also tested this using project files from previous versions on Cubase (5.5, 6.0 and 6.01) with the same results.

When you create a new project do you use a certain template?
I always start with an empty project which is how I created “Lane Test.cpr”

Do you maybe use custom templates?
No.

Do you choose empty project when you create a new project?
Yes.

**Now for my update.**I have since discovered that this issue is no longer happening to me in 6.02, but here’s the strange part: If I reopen “Lane Test.cpr” and cycle record to a new audio track, cut up the audio in the lanes, save, exit, then reopen, everything is fine and the audio parts in the lanes are just as I would expect (i.e. no extra lanes were added). Then I tried cleaning up the previous lanes that I had created in the prject that exhibited this issue (just as you did), saved, exited, then reopened, and found the extra lanes were again added (the audio parts in the new track that I had added still looked good). Tried the same test with some new 6.02 project files and in each case I was no longer able to reproduce the problem.

So I’m at a loss to explain this. My PC is a new build, so for the past couple of weeks I have been reinstalling all of my audio applications, plugins, VST instruments, a few brand new non-audio apps, plus several Windows 7 updates, so perhaps along the way some library or other software component got updated that made a difference? In any case the issue still occurs with the existing tracks I made in “Lane Test.cpr” - let me know if you need more info or want to do any other tests.

JZ

In my experience, this problem – where more and more lanes are unnecessarily created every time I re-open a project – occurs both with projects started in 6.02 and ones imported from earlier Cubase versions. For now, I’ve had to go back to working in Cubase 5 just to avoid this strange problem and get anything done. Very frustrating. But thanks for trying to figure it out.

Thank you for your answers. :wink:
Well if anybody can find a working repro please post it here.
I reported the problem, the tracking number is in my previouse post. This will be investigated.

I will let you all know when I find out more about this.

Gr,
JHP

[/quote]
Thank you for your answers. :wink:
Well if anybody can find a working repro please post it here.
I reported the problem, the tracking number is in my previouse post. This will be investigated.

I will let you all know when I find out more about this.

Gr,
JHP[/quote]

FYI - in my last post I said that the problem mysteriously disappeared - well it has appeared again since installing the 6.03 update. Let me know if you need more info or want me to run some tests for you.

JZ

Hi All !

Any updates about this issue?

I did not record audio before 6.0.4 update so I can say about 6.0.4 version only.

Yesterday I recorded some vocal on Cubase 6.0.4 and after reopening it today I have more then 40 lines instead of 5-6 which I had originally while recorded, and edited before reopen.
It looks very disapointing and critical issue for any audio recording. Is not it?

Look forward for any advise.

Best Regards,
Andrey

I hope Steinberg is still looking into this. Having paid for the Cubase 6 update, I’m stuck using Cubase 5 until this all gets straightened out.

Andrey,

This issue is still happening to me in 6.04 (and was also a problem in 6.02 and 6.03) - I sure wish Steinberg would get the root of this as it is a real pain. The only workaround I’ve seen suggested so far is to disable lanes on any tracks where you have done some editing before you save your project and exit Cubase - when you reopen the project and re-enable lanes on your tracks you’ll see that everything is as you left it (i.e. no extra lanes added).

JZ

Could not reproduce here. i7;W764: Cubase 6.0.3. Not conclusive as I haven’t gone for 6.0.4.
I’d suggest it was some sort of setting but if that was right you might still search for ages to find it.

For some reason I find it (your problem) strangely logical but maybe only for certain work practises. It seems like it’s “gridding” your cuts on a track per cut basis. Delete what you don’t want and you’re done. But yes, you can end up with clutter before that happens.
Now if you could post up a .jpg with what you expected to happen…(mind you, I presume it looks as it used to before you save and re-open)
and are the manuals for C5 & C6 the same on Lanes? I’ve only got the C6 version at hand.

I am still having this problem. I’ve been using 6.0.2. Lanes multiply like crazy. It has something to do with slicing them - because after saving, closing, and then reopening the project, individual slices all appear on their own lanes - rather than remaining on the lane they were originally on. Obviously if you do a lot of slicing, you end up with HUGE numbers of lanes. It’s a complete mess…

Windows 7, 64-bit
Cubase 6.0.2 (32-bit)
Intel Xeon x5690 6 core processor (3.4 ghz)
24 GB RAM
RME HDSPe x 2

If you read the initial post in this thread you’ll see that I included two .jpg images - the first one shows how the lanes in a track looked after I sliced up the audio. The second pic shows how the lanes looked after I had saved and re-opened the project - you’ll see that the number of lanes increased (i.e. many of the sliced audio parts now have their own lane instead of staying on the original lane). Like Toader mentioned, if you have a lot of audio takes on lanes that are sliced you can potentially end up with dozens of extra lanes with the audio slices all over the place. I’m 100% sure this is a bug and not a ‘feature’.

As far as why some users experience this and others do not, well that’s a good question but I think external library or .dll files might be a possible explanation (at least for a PC - not sure what the equilivent on a Mac would be). This issue started happening to me with 6.02, however there was a point where it stopped happening for a while but then started up again when I installed 6.03 and continued with 6.04. I’m thinking that maybe there was some external library or .dll file that the 6.03 installation replaced which caused the issue to resurface - it’s possible because a few weeks after installing 6.02 I had installed several other applications (both audio and non-audio apps) on my PC (which likely install their own requisite libraries and .dll files) and after doing that the issue disappered until I installed 6.03.

Johnny,

Yes, this workaround helps and I am tring not to forget to disable lines before saving each time now.
Thank you!

Best Regards,
Andrey

Good news: It looks like the 6.05 update has finally fixed this multiplying lanes issue! Today, I was very happy not only to see this issue on the 6.05 “bug-fix” list, but to do some experimenting and actually find that lanes were no longer multiplying out of control for no reason every time I reopened a project. I’d be curious to hear if the problem has been resolved for other people who’d complained about it here.

Thanks, Steinberg, for listening to us!

Alan

It seems to be related to 29410.

From the Version History:
29410 Record: Sample rates different than 44.1kHz no longer lead to multiplication of lanes due to
wrong overlap resolution on project load.

Thanks, Steinberg, for listening to us!

Thanks for being part of Steinberg and addressing this community. :slight_smile:

Gr,
JHP

Yup, same here - the 6.05 update resolved the issue for me!