Strange pulsing eLicenser LED vs. non-pulsing eLicenser LED?

I’ve got C6 (which was an upgrade to C5, which was an upgrade to C4), and I recently bought Wavelab 7, which comes with a brand new, thicker, purplish, eLicenser key. Yesterday, I noticed for the first time, the Wavelab key’s red LED light kind of pulses slowly, but the C6 (or rather, originally C4) key’s LED is a solid red.

Now, I wouldn’t think twice, until yesterday when I installed a Novation 49SL MKII and my Wavelab key keeps disconnecting. So that’s when I noticed the slowly pulsing LED on the new model eLicenser key. Is this normal, is this unusual, is this a sign of hardware failure, or do I just need to reinstall the elicenser drivers/software? I’ve tried different USB ports, removing it, putting it back in (then it works until I reboot), etc. However, my older, C6/C4 key has a solid red LED and hasn’t had any issues at all.

Something is strange, and the only major change I made since I did anything to the DAW was install C6 and then the Novation, then uninstall my old USB drivers from an older controller. Perhaps between the three steps something strange happened to my second key or the driver(s)?

I’ll post this in the Wavelab forum as well. Thanks for any help you can give!

I have a number of old and a couple new keys and some pulse, and others do not. That isn’t your problem.

You can transfer all your licenses to one key and see if that frees up the USB port so you don’t loose connectivity, or try the keyboard on a different port.

I had some similar issues until I picked up a cheap usb hub to plug all my keys (a mix of e-lic and Ilok 3 total) into.

Thanks, Tom! You’re right about the pulsing. I found another eLicenser key (which I use on a PT rig with VE Pro) and I realized it also pulses. So the pulsing isn’t my issue. I guess newer revisions of the key hardware have this pulsing effect.

So what I did was remove the Wavelab 7 key, reinstall the latest eLicenser drivers, reboot, install the Wavelab 7 key in a different USB port, and so far so good. I haven’t had a disconnection this morning, after multiple reboots/loads/projects.

So I think I’m okay. There must have been a driver issue, or perhaps the internal USB bus that powers the Novation didn’t like having both the Novation and the Wavelab key on it. Perhaps the Novation draws the max current from the port/bus? That’s my working theory. Not sure, but for now I think I’m back in business.

As for transferring the licenses to one key, it’s a good idea, but sometimes I need to use Wavelab on a different machine. I might get a USB hub if this problem comes up again, though.

I have 2 licenser keys which are quite old, and they don’t pulse. But recently I bought a VSL exploration kit which comes with its own key, and this one pulses. I thought it was something related to being Vienna Key :astonished:

The funny thing is that I have the dongle witch came with Cubase 5
and this one does just blink …
I have to add that this is one with a readable Sticker on the back of the chip
The other one I own is one witch Came with “Korg Legacy Collection Analog Edition 2007” witch predates Cubase 5
and this one is a “Generic Elicenser” witch has no readable sticker on the back of the chip
and … this one is also Pulsing

So I think all Generic Elicenser Do this