Strange slur behaviour: grace-note / piano staff

Hi,

I want to put a slur on a grace note on the left-hand part moved to the treble-staff of a piano system and this happens:
2017-11-23 09.55.49.gif
It seems to me, as if Dorico tries to include the note played by the right hand in its slur-layout…?

Bug or feature? :wink:

Best -
Andreas

Is it the same behavior if you do NOT click on the grace note (i.e. both correct notes are highlighted) ? Dorico used to need to have both beginning and end notes selected to insert a slur in the first versions, I suppose it should input the slur correctly…

Even if I select both notes and then press “s” the slur is placed in that “wrong” way. Even if the slur is placed correctly before moving the notes from the lower to the upper staff, it moves to the wrong position. Seems to be a bug in my opinion…

Yes, I guess you are right…
In the meantime you can adjust it in Engrave mode :wink:

This isn’t a bug, but rather a limitation in the way slurs can attach at present. Slurs on grace notes have special rules, and when multiple voices are in play the normal notehead-to-notehead placement is reversed, instead producing placement that always curves away from the staff. It’s possible we may be able to improve this further in a future version, but this stuff is fearsomely complicated, despite the apparent simplicity of a trivial example such as that posted by Andreas.

“…fearsomely complicated…” Indeed.

I think it is very easy for us all to forget how complicated it is to make programs do what they do. Fantastic, simple UIs completely mask the hundreds of thousands (or millions) of lines of code that make programs work. We have had someone in our office developing a “simple” script to automate one of our current enterprise program functions. It has taken him hours upon hours of work. Establishing the algorithms to make “simple” functions behave in an intelligent manner is a complicated task in itself, which is to say nothing of the actual coding to implement said algorithm. It truly fascinates me. I then take that wonder and ponder Dorico, and all of the innumerable rules and conventions that are well-established in music (yet different for certain genres/instruments) and marvel that you all are able to make heads/tails of it all. Dorico makes very intelligent decisions because the algorithms are so intelligent…which is to say nothing of the monumental effort to make the program function and implement that knowledge.