I went to open this today in the new Dorico 4, and curiously (for the first movement at least), the 1st bassoon part notation (and playback) disappears completely in the 4th bar??
Here is a screenshot of them side by side
And just for reference, the exact version info:
Thanks! I tried it just now and the same happens for me, both in galley view and condensed. There are tuplet rests for the Bassoon 1 part, but all the notes have disappeared, only for the first flow as far as I can tell.
I’m also noticing some problems with vertical spacing in some of the other movements here as well, and some weird balances in playback. It’s entirely possible that I had some screwy things in the file - tons of manual vertical spacing adjustments, bracketing, etc., to try and match the published version.
In Dorico 3.5 it still all looks OK.
Weirdly, just today I had Part Two open, and it seems to work fine in Dorico 4: spacing all looks the same as far as I can tell, and playback sounds decent - the trumpets seem a little softer maybe than in 3.5. Hmmmm! I did input Part Two after finishing Part One, and maybe my Dorico chops improved in the meantime, although it still has lots of manual adjustments for vertical spacing, brackets, etc. I’ll try to fix Part One, and see if it works in both Dorico 4 and 3.5.
I get the same result on my system too. That’s a pretty serious proofreading concern if D4 doesn’t retain all the notes from a D3.5 file!!! Casting off changes as well. Not unexpected I guess if notes are missing. The 2nd system of page 2 starts with bar 16 in D3.5 but bar 17 in D4. Obviously everything else beyond that is changed too. Yikes!
I was assuming that I had maybe done something wrong, but if the notes themselves no longer seem to exist, I would wager that isn’t something you could have caused…hopefully this is a bug that can be fixed somehow. The vertical spacing issues you mentioned may certainly be related to the 1st bassoon part basically vanishing from the score, so no wonder things would be screwed up, especially in the less dense sections. I’d hate to lose any music in that fashion (especially something as incredibly complex as this!)
On another note, great work again by the way! I’m studying this piece privately with my professor so this will no doubt be an INCREDIBLE resource to utilize when breaking down everything that’s going on. Trying to play back divisi by themselves are causing some issues right now in galley view, but that may be just a 3.5 issue in the meantime.
This is the sort of work that could go on the Scorico site about to come into existence.
Both files are crashing with Dorico 5.
Welcome to the forum, @avignani. It would be helpful if you could do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and upload the resulting zip file here, which will allow us to see what might be going on.
correct. Exactly same here. Diagnostics can be found here
File still opens fine in D4
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (178.9 KB)
The crash dumps were too big, they were directly sent to Steinberg anyway.
The only possible signiicant line in the log is
2023-05-24 13:49:15.783 [error] NudgeController - no content or failed to load
Of course all is working fine with Dorico 4.
Happens here too.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (472.8 KB)
Thanks, we’ll look into this.
I exported all the movements as separate flows, and it seems the problems are in part one, “Spring Rounds” and “The Dancing Out of the Earth”; and in part two, “Sacrificial Dance.” I’m attaching those flows here, they work in Dorico 4. Some of the string harmonics (artificial harmonics, 5th partial) sound two octaves higher than they should, way up in the stratosphere. When I try entering artificial harmonics in a new score, they seem to work fine.
Stravinsky-RiteOfSpring-I-Spring Rounds.dorico (1.7 MB)
Stravinsky-RiteOfSpring-I-The Dancing Out of the Earth.dorico (1.9 MB)
The flow for “Sacrificial Dance” is too big to attach here (4.8 MB), sorry - but you can download all the flows individually here:
We’re working on this – there’s nothing wrong with the project files themselves. We’ll no doubt have a fix for this in the first Dorico 5.x maintenance update when it arrives.
Thanks! For what it’s worth, the bass harmonics at the beginning of Mystic Circle of the Young Girls are sounding a lot higher than they should, in both Dorico 4 and 5. I thought this might be a NotePerformer 4 issue, but I just tried making some bass harmonics in a new file and they all work.
by the way… in Ritual Action of the Ancestors, page 124, number 135, third bar, the second note of the triolet should have a sharp (i.e. C# instead of C) in Ob.I, Vln.II, Vc.
I have the B&H 1947 score, and there is a C#. The C natural not only sounds bad but is at odd with the other instances of the motive on page 125.
Belated thanks for catching that error, avignani - the Dover score agrees with you as well. Now fixed!