Stream Deck macro keypad

Oh! Thanks Steve :slight_smile:

Thanks, @dankreider for the icons!

Is it possible to make a Multi-Action out of a normal Hotkey AND keeping the hotkey picture designed by you guys for the multi-action key?

Hi, I’have written a guide about how to transfer your SD settings to another PC and streamdeck (home / office setup)
If you’ve created complicated setups with a lot of profile switching, it might be worth a look.

This thread has been around for a while.
I’m still interested in seeing how folks have set up their Stream Deck.
This is my main menu for note entry allowing me to keep left hand on SD and right hand on piano keyboard. The triplet and slur and grace are toggles on/off.
SD

Here’s mine these days. I use this probably 6 hours a day!

2 Likes

Interesting, you have a ruler! Is that a function in Dorico or is it external?

Just launches an external program.

Hi dorico-streamdeckers,
Would one of you know if it’s possible to use a Stream Deck to control another one?
I was thinking of getting a second one to serve as a main menu for my current deck to limite the go in between different levels. So basically, pressing button “x” on deck 1 would call up a linked page on deck 2.
Somebody tried something like that?
(sorry, if that was already talked about, but there are 430 posts in that thread!)
Cheers,
Québ

Hi Queb.
I haven’t tried it yet, but I think this has been possible for a while now, in one of the stream deck’s program update.
[Edit] in 4.4 :

Ouhhhh! Que du plaisir en perspective! Merci Marc

1 Like

Hi,

Not sure if I has been noticed before, in any case, thought I should show it.
I just realised that some of the “multi-action” commands or AHK commands can be bypassed using just keycommands.json and the proper Dorico commands. For example:

NoteInput.CreatePlayingTechnique?Definition=downbow&UseLocalOverride=0

Adds directly a downbow technique, without the popover appearing. Or this one:

NoteInput.TransposeOrAddNotesToSelection?Definition=+3

To add a note with an interval.

These can be added directly to keycommands.json with the usual:

“NoteInput.CreateBarLine?Definition=|&UseLocalOverride=0” : [ “Alt+F3” ]

Just in case someone didn’t knew and wants to make some commands a bit quicker.

1 Like

Yes, demonstrated here: Adding key commands to Dorico using JSON - YouTube

Thanks, didn’t notice that

iPad 5th generation uses iPadOS operating system, not iOS. It’s different because the capabilities of the two devices have diverged.

Well, I have mixed feelings about posting this, but I’ve officially stopped using the Stream Deck for my regular workflow. It’s been essential to me for the past three years, but I’m realizing that I’m now equally fast without it.

Several things have changed to make that happen… some were new, some were just me learning what’s possible.

First, the ability to program key commands by modifying the JSON file, which I’ve been doing for a while now. Basically any function or property can be linked to a key command.

Then came the jump bar in 4.0, which totally removed the need for complex key commands involving multiple modifier keys. That means Filter Dynamics doesn’t need to be something random like Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F2, which is impossible to remember and is best suited to a Stream Deck button… now it’s just jfd.

Then Daniel showed how I can map Alt-L/R and Ctrl-Alt-L/R to letter keys in Engrave mode. I’ve settled on W and E for West and East (Alt-left and Alt-right), and Q and R for the “bigger jump” versions of these. Those keys don’t cause any conflicts, since it’s just engrave mode.

Finally, I found a way to make a simple remapping of characters for extending typographical functionality using AHK, which opens up em and en dashes, the copyright symbol, old-style numbers, and small caps.

I don’t have any regrets about the Stream Deck. It served me well for a long time. And Notation Express is a great solution for lots of users. Plus I’ll still use it for things like inputting Czech characters, or other jobs that have really specific needs. But it’s just not something that I’ll need on a regular basis any more.

Ok. Just so you know, I have always filtered dynamics through cmd-f,d, so I don’t think the jump bar can really do a difference there :rofl:
When you’re a power user and master your keyboard (and now what the jump bar has to offer), you don’t really need a Streamdeck. But it does help go fast when you’re starting.

Well, there were still some other things that were just faster. Small caps, for example. And being able to move the mouse with the right hand, and one button does Alt-arrow keys with the left. Those were the things that kept me tethered to it until now.

That doesn’t work for me and never has. Maybe a Mac thing? Alt works, but it’s tons of arrows and key presses.

1 Like

It’s sequential shortcuts. Don’t know if it’s Mac specific, but I don’t think so. I noticed that totally by chance. A sequence of shortcuts in the keyboard shortcuts editor.
For instance, cmd-F, n, t would filter top notes, cmd-f,n,b would filter bottom notes.

It works on Windows too. I use it a lot.

1 Like