Stream Deck macro keypad

Thanx Philip…You and Leo did a great job with Notation Express! I think using Stream Deck and Notation Express really differs a lot on what somebody is working on…if I’d only write for jazz-quartet I’d have a completely other set-up. Working with string-plugIns and the necessity of a new playing technique for each articulation, makes the Stream Deck very useful !

Hi Tim,
I use your German Version of Notation Express for Dorico. Thank’s a lot! Reading the comments on Stream Deck XL, I’m thinking about buying one as well. Are you planning to create a German Version of Notation Express XL as well?

Heiko

Tim, if you’re planning on adapting the revised JSON for German shortcuts, do let me know - I can send you a marked up copy of the JSON, labelled to show the additions. These mostly apply to noteheads, Jazz articulations and ornaments. With any luck you’ll then have a much quicker job adding to your existing JSON rather than having to start again from scratch with the new English one.

For that matter, if it’s a “no” from Tim, I’m happy to liaise with you, Heiko :slight_smile:

Keyboard Maestro, just released yesterday, includes support for Stream Deck via a KM plug-in. So you can trigger KM macros via a USB device key and then have Keyboard Maestro report back to the Stream Deck to show visual alerts. Interesting…

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/Stream_Deck

Apart from excitement about Philip’s post above, I’d like to just reiterate how awesome the new XL profile is. Since I now have an XL and a regular unit, I’ve taken all my favorite things from the new profile and put them on the mini so that everything I typically need is immediately accessible, as well as copied a few things of Leo’s around elsewhere on the XL. It’s amazing. The icons are great too. This was very worth the investment!

Romanos, that is an excellent idea that hadn’t yet occurred to me. Thank you!

That is an excellent idea! It’s great that everything is customizable.

I just came back from vacation and ordered my NotationExpress XL before reading this post. So yes, I will be updating the profiles :slight_smile: My Stream Deck XL is not due until next week, though…

@pianoleo, thank you for the offer of the “marked-up” JSON file, but I have compared the two files and they were trivial to merge, so no need to send the annotated file.

Aside from this: Why does the installer need to run with elevated rights? If it only copies a file into the current user’s profile directory, that should be possible without admin privileges, shouldn’t it? The reason I’m asking is that my user profile doesn’t have admin rights, which causes the installer to switch to the admin account, placing the JSON file in its profile directory and not mine :laughing:

Another question: I compared the Steam Deck (15-key version) profiles superficially and couldn’t find a difference between the original profile and the current one. Has only the keycommands-en.json file changed, or are there other changes I have missed?

I can’t answer your question about the installer - that’s one for Philip, I’m afraid. As to the profiles, the 15-key profile is identical to the previous version. The XL profile has various additions (noteheads, jazz articulations, ornaments etc.) and many of these rely on new shortcuts that are in the revised JSON file. All of the shortcuts that have been carried forward from the previous version are the same, meaning that you can theoretically use both a regular Stream Deck and an XL simultaneously (and at least one person does).

If you PM me your email address I’ll happily send over the marked up JSON file I’ve just sent Marc Larcher.

Leo is correct on the json.

I’m not sure about the installer. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I haven’t bit the bullet and done a proper Windows code signing as a developer. Sorry for that!

On a side note, in case anyone is curious, I can confirm that the new sdk for keyboard maestro works perfectly as well.

Hi there!

I ordered Notation Express XL a while ago but didn’t have the opportunity to install it yet.
Does it make sense to do it now or is it more effective to wait for the Notation Express update for Dorico 3?

I know it’s a very subjective question but I have a bunch of custom key commands and there’s probably some work to adapt NE to my settings. If there’s an update available in the following days I’d better wait.

Thanks for info! Best, Saxer

Hi Saxer!
I am French and working on a French keyboard layout. And indeed I had some work to do to make it work (and if you ask my files to Philip Rothman, he will provide them). So if you’re not using an English or american keyboard, expect some reworking on some keyboard bindings that might not work with your keyboard layout. Otherwise, it will work flawlessly and it is very easy to add your own shortcuts.

Hi Saxer. We finished the Dorico 3 updates for both Notation Express and Notation Express XL and are just doing final testing on the installers. Expect an update within the next day or so. So hold off just a bit if you can.

This is good news, Philip! Finally I did not have the time to deal with the French localization for Stream Deck XL (that I received two weeks ago but still not tried !), I’ll wait for your XL version to make this porting.

Philip, I just wanted to confirm (I mentioned this to Leo a while back) that the new version will include an option for a regular barline. It was missing from the XL update; I do a lot of chant transcriptions, hence, no meter, and suddenly a regular barline button becomes very important!

Ach. I entirely forgot. I bet we can craft you one, though, even if it doesn’t make it into this update…

We will get the Normal barline in the forthcoming update. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks all for the answers! That are good news! So I’ll wait for the update!