Stretching/warping cassette recordings (to fix pitch & time)?

Hi all,

Is it possible to stretch a recording (such as a cassette recording) to correct pitch issues, and then to apply a second stretch thereafter to correct timing fluctuations? I have an old cassette recording that I am trying to use as reference or scratch track for a project, but as you can guess it is not in pitch and is also has some tempo fluctuations.

At face value I realize this sounds like a tall order. I’m not well-educated enough in Cubase’s features to know if it’s impossible or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

HI,

you can read up on the Time Warp feature (Pro only) here: Time Warp (Cubase Pro only)

Or Here’s a couple of videos I recommend:

I’ve not tried it, so I’m not sure how usable the results are, but if you can experiment with the elastique tape algorithm: élastique

I (and I’m sure many others) would be interested to hear how you get on…I’ve been meaning to salvage some old, degraded reel to reel tapes…

Cheers,

Ian

This is a super tricky thing to correct. Celemony (the masters of time & pitch manipulation) makes a product dedicated to the task - and it is super expensive like over $4K (but you can rent it for 5 days at a mere $200 :astonished: ).

Good luck