String bass part showing in sounding pitch

In a chamber piece with string bass, I have score display set to non-transposing. Is there a way to get the bass part to show the sounding pitches in the score and octavated in the part?

I don’t think this is possible at the moment, there seems to be an internal difference in transposing and octavating instruments (however, I’m not sure if this is the same for e.g. piccolo).

If you have all relevant layouts at concert pitch then there’s no way to do this.

Is this a situation where having ottava clefs that ‘work’ would be useful?

That could work only if I can have different clefs in the parts and the score, especially where the part needs to be in treble clef but the sounding pitches should be in bass clef. Thing is, the bass part has a very high tessitura and it’s hard to read in the context of the score.

You can have different clefs if the Score is Concert Pitch and the Part is Transposing Pitch. I could make you an ottava bass clef, if you’d like.

I suppose the alternative would be just to have different Players in the Score and Part.

I appreciate the offer, Ben! Having two players is probably the best idea. It’s turning into a bit of a messy project anyway. I’ve made an arrangement of the last mvt. of Mahler’s 4th for soprano, clarinet, cello or bass and piano. The bass part has to be different from the cello part, as not everything’s physically possible on bass. Two players there. I had to change the piano part in the bass version, too, so I need a second piano player. Two different bass players reading at different pitches is par for the course!

For instruments with transpositions of more than a fifth, it would be handy to be able to have completely independent clefs between score and parts. I’m aware of the ability to have different concert/transposing clefs but it still means that one can have superfluous clefs throughout parts and score. Other than having separate players for score and parts, I’m not sure how this could be implemented, though.

I’ve actually been working on this recently. In the next version of Dorico you will be able to specify whether a clef change should appear when the layout is at concert pitch or at transposed pitch, which makes it possible to have clef changes in the part that do not appear in the score.

A question about that: does that mean you can effectively have two different clef changes at the same rhythmic position, one in the score and one in the parts?

It’s not a completely hypothetical question. I’m working on a score where the composer (probably being more keyboard then orchestra oriented) never used tenor clefs for cello or bassoon, but had treble clefs instead.

I’m assuming performers would prefer the conventional tenor clefs in the parts, but it might be nice to preserve the composer’s notation in the score.

Interpreting what Daniel said: yes, but only if your score is in concert pitch.
If you want the score in transposed pitch, it will have the same clef changes.

I thought it did that already? :confused: Isn’t that what the Concert Pitch and Transposed Pitch Clefs are for?

Ben, I think you’ve misunderstood.

Let’s say you have a clef that displays as treble clef in both layouts, followed by a clef that displays as tenor clef in the (transposed) part layout and treble clef in the (concert) Score. At the moment there is no proper way to remove the second (redundant) treble clef in the score.

That’s great news, Daniel! It’ll remove the necessity for the workaround of having to have an extra part for independent clef changes. It might very well be a premiere for notation programs, in general. I don’t know of any other programs which can do this.

I tought Sibelius could do this (but I can be mistaken, haven’t used it for two years), but you would have the part-specific change showing in orange.

No, you won’t be able to have multiple clef changes at the same rhythmic position on the same instrument, but of course that’s not a problem unless both part and score need to be (say) transposed pitch, but for some reason need to show different clefs.