Stuck at "scanning VST3 plug-ins"

Thx a lot ohm!!!
After buying a new Waves plugin I got the same problem. Only moving the vstscanner.exe files and none of my Waves plugin worked anymore;
It was one older version of a WaveShell_VST3 (for me in: Program Files\Common Files\VST3) that gave the problem. Now it’s removed and the old and new plugin work fine!:slight_smile:

Hi all,

I just did a clean install of 10.5.12 and it is stuck at Scanning VST3 plug ins. Upon removing VstScanner.exe from the components folder I am able to start up. What is the final solution here?

Hi,

Make sure your plug-ins are up to date, please.

I just wanted to mention that, if it could help someone in the future, I had the exact same problem. I tried and tried, it was crashing every time.

Mac user.

As you suggested, I moved the VST3 away from its original place (Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3) and after that, Cubase started for the first time (trial).

Cubase programmer must keep on working on the application. This behavior is not normal for a professional software.

1 Like

Hi,

I had this problem,The issue is caused (for me anyway) with a Waves plugin in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 folder. If you have Waves installed there should be around 5 x plugins. Rename the WaveShell1-VST3 10.0_x64.vst to .bak or delete it completely.

It turned out the issue was the Waves driver detection part locked up Cubase on loading when it tried to generate the licence key. I had the licence installed on a studio laptop I sometimes use and transferring it over to my main PC sorted the problem completely - Cubase would run even with the .vst file present and rebuild the V10.0 file without causing the lockout.

Anyhow, hopefully this will help avoid having to remove the vstscaner completely.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks,
renaming deactivateed Waves .VST files solved my problem too.

Infact it happened that me too had to deactivate Waves plugins in order to temporarily move them to my laptop. Because of this quite simple and normal operation Cubase caused me a huge loss of time because of all of these anomalies with their licensing check components problems.
This (licensing checking and physical dongle) is among the biggest reasons why I’ve decided to quit using Cubase to go with Ableton
(and, just for the sake of this problem: Ableton Live didn’t create any kind of problems when I deactivated Waves plugin; it just told me once and then started. End of the story.)
Sorry Steinberg, this sucks too much, it’s not acceptable for a business oriented piece of software to block a user for hours.

1 Like

same problem here
I deleted old plugins from Program Files\Common Files\VST3
problem solved

Please guys stop blaming Cubase for this problem. It’s a Waves issue, down to their outdated, 1 machine at a time licensing protocol. The last few of you said ‘it works fine when I disable the Waves plugins’ would suggest it maybe a Waves, not a Cubase issue, no?

I’m all for holding Steinberg to account when Cubase has problems but maybe make sure they’re actually Cubase problems before you jump ship…

Just my 2 cents worth…

P

No, not Waves issue, Cubase sucks becasue they don’t know how to code or install a simple button that says (SKIP HANGING PLUGIN) it’s not rocket science, they’d rather people just sit there staring at a frozen screen because that’s the best bit about Cubase that works properly, I mean the startup logo.

6 Likes

The same thing happened to me, the problem I had is that the Excalibur plugin needed authorization from ilok Manager, and Cubase could not start because of this, the solution was to authorize the excalibur vst3 plugin with iLOK and after that my Cubase 11 pro started without problems, I was lucky and it only took 30 minutes to find the solution and I didn’t have to delete or reinstall anything, I leave my experience here in case it helps someone.

2 Likes

Without the patient interaction of those on this thread, i would not have been able to troubleshoot the same issue. It’s a nightmare, a black hole and it costs a lot of valuable time. It is also embarrassing if you hve client sitting next to you. Now wonder so many people switch to Logic or Studio 1

3 Likes

I had the same problem too and just used your solution and it worked. Thank you so much

Found the bast4rd!! deleting that fixed it

1 Like

Hi all I have a solution!
I’ve been struggling with this for a bunch of hours now trying everything including reinstalls but to no avail.

Finally after some time with ProcMon (sysinternals, free tool)
I was able to find the plugin that caused cubase to be stuck on loading and deleted its file.
It was an old Waves 9.7 vst3 file. I have v10 already and I don’t know how this specific file suddenly caused the issue but it seems like it defined some other path which was not found on the system and cubase got stuck.
This is very weird since yesterday night I worked with cubase and all was fine and today it got stuck on this.

Anyway here’s the solution to how you can find out the bad plugin (writing this I just see it happened to another person above me with waves 9.1… damn waves…).

download Procmon.
Start it up and add the following filters:
“Process Name is vstscanner.exe”
“Result is not SUCCESS” (you don’t care about the things that worked.

You have to follow an intensive list of results but I saw somewhere “PATH NOT FOUND” then went to that path and saw the waves file and deleted it. Trying to delete it while cubase is still stuck proved that it was indeed the issue because Windows refused deleting that file until I force closed Cubase.

Then I started cubase and all was fine :slight_smile:
The attached image shows how I figured this out.

I hope this helps!

2 Likes

I had a similar issue where Waves seems to be the culprit. Instead of looking for and deleting or renaming Waves component files on my internal hard drive, I (1) simply unplugged the external USB thumb drive containing my Waves Licenses, (2) started Nuendo 10 (and this also worked for Nuendo 11) and waited for the Waves error messages that no licenses have been found and hit “Skip”, (3) waited for Nuendo to hang again, (4) Ended the Nuendo application task in Task Manager, (5) re-plugged in my external USB thumb drive with the Waves licenses, (6) restarted Nuendo again and it worked! Hope this helps save someone a lot of time of messing with system files. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just purchased the 13 Pro upgrade and on the initial launch, had this problem as well. Stuck on the vst scanning.

Finding and editing the name of the waves vst3 didn’t fix my issue. (We have “lots” of vst3 plugins). I did try the above fix with Procmon…but that unfortunately didn’t work for me either.

But what did work for me is I downloaded the free version of cCleaner (google it) and ran it’s clean registry option. (If you’re like me, I had to run it a few times sequentially to get ALL the “fixes” done as it’s just been awhile since I attempted to “clean out” this machine I guess. The tool allows you to make a backup each time you remove “bad” registries just incase, but i didn’t run into an issue.)

After this was done, Cubase 13 Pro opened right up (though I still did have that waves vst3 renamed as a backup file–just in case)!

Hope this helps someone else!

1 Like

That would be great, as well as a pop up when Cubase starts that says which plugin caused the problem.

I also got hung up on vst3 scanning when I first tried to run C13.
I have a lot of vsti’s, and gave it a while, but used the control/alt/delete a couple times.
Got fed up and decided to leave it run while I went out and raked leaves for an hour or so. When I came back in, it was ready to go, and has loaded fairly quickly since then.

Thanks for all the tips here. We still have two machines where C13 simply does not start. I’ll try some of these steps next week.

I am letting it run and monitoring Task Manager to see that it is still executing. I did cancel it the first time as I thought it was stuck. I ran Studio One (which gives you a display of all the VST’s it is scanning), to make sure nothing was an issue.

Steinberg, how hard would it be to have a similar thing in Cubase, just list the VST’s as you scan them? Even if it adds some more time, users would know that the program is still running, and if it gets stuck, there is the name of the VST that is causing it.

I installed Cubase Pro 13 on my iMac running Ventura today. The first time I attempted to start Cubase 13 it hung and needed to be forced quit when it was trying to scan VST2 plugins. It happens two more times and then finally started up correctly. It has been fine ever since. It appears that Cubase checked a number of VST2 plugins each start before it hung and eventually went through all of them…then every start went well after that. I have a huge number of VST2 plugins so it appears that Cubase had a hard time going through them all at once and timed out several times before it went through the whole list. If possible a longer time out value may help when a huge number of plugins is present.