Studio One vs Cubase 6.5

Yep. They all rip each other and rightfully so, since good ideas kinda don’t ever all live or originate in the same place.

I have to say once again… “Right you are chap!”. You’re on a roll. :mrgreen: It’s always refreshing when these things don’t actually end in stupid debates (rare, wouldn’t you agree?), but lead to reasonable intelligent & mature discussion.

ok, I think we’ve discussed everything.
Conclusion: “vs.”-topics are very very boring. :wink:

Mods?
throw this topic in the lounge toilet!
(don´t forget to flush and wash your hands)
:mrgreen:

…No one has acknowledged the sustain data problem in Cubase. Would anyone care to explain why it’s set to an on/off system instead of a continuous curve one?

synchronizer, this is not a problem, I think.
sustain only includes on/off messages (piano = foot down/up)
or what do you mean exactly?

I’ll add a few more

• No Non-Linear Sequencing (Arranger Track)
  • S1’s media management is an absolute pathetic joke compared to the power of Mediabay.
  • No Project Logical Editor
  • No Control Room
  • No Note Expression
  • No In Place Editor
  • No Midi Plugins
  • No Global Transpose (Audio & Midi)

And that’s really just the tip of the iceberg… there are many more features S1 is missing.

Some instruments , for example, the Galaxy Vintage D, support half-pedaling and re-pedaling, and I’m not sure how to utilize them. Wouldn’t they require a more complicated sustain controller?

+ 1

Thank you Stealth, I´ve added your missing Features to my List - and we would find much more.
Fair enough, but that is the reality.

Cent.

Good list. Cubase rocks.

I was speaking of S2 which is greatly improved sorry I should have been more specific.

That list applies to S1(v2)… and again, its really just the tip of the iceberg.

I have been using Studio One since the first day of release. I avoided other DAWs and listened to all the criticisms of Cubase and other DAWs while using S1. I was all the way to S1 v2.0.5 and for years struggling with missing an incredible amount of features I had from Logic (I changed from Logic 9 to S1, but I hated Logic with a passion).

Well, a friend finally convinced me to try Cubase and oh my… They are not even comparable. Sorry but S1 isn’t even close to Cubase in terms of Midi. I do orchestral mockups and S1 was just impossible for this. I had no idea how much time I was wasting using it until I spent a few days learning how to use Cubase.

After a few days of having the ability to do note expressions, vst expressions, remote controls, track archives and quick controls I have never used S1 again for anything. I haven’t even updated it to the newest patches. I simply do not use it anymore. S1 is so far behind Cubase for orchestral orchestration I can’t imagine when they will catch up.

Thank you everyone for your input. My consenses is to use both. Yes Cubase has numerous features which make it more advantages but their may be times which S2 will work fine. An example would be for live sound recording with very little midi. I can always remix the files in Cubase after the recording for fine editing when needed.

Wasn’t there some Steinberg Nuendo thingie released just recently? Let S1 rest …

Indeedy> Nuendo Live: Live Recording Software | Steinberg

Although I don’t think it available yet?

Both hardware and software look to be killer.
And would fit nicely into my SUV. :slight_smile:

{‘-’}

This thread didn’t take long to wind up in The Cornfield™ did it?

The subject amused me because I own Cubase 6.5, Logic 9 and StudioOne2. What do I use daily? Cubase. No contest.

StudioOne has some interesting stuff in it and some of it I wish Steinberg would simply rip off (the Performance Panel being one of those things, universal drag 'n drop being another and the ARA integration of Melodyne being yet another) but when it comes down to getting complex work done….particularly in terms of speed and detail, S1 can’t touch Cubase. Not even close.

StudioOne has potential…however I’m not that sure it will ever get to the detailed level of Cubase’s featureset if only because there is a sort of politically motivated “don’t copy Cubase mentality” in its development process. Its major bright spot is its audio engine. Considering its author, I’d expect nothing less.

It’s FX plugin library is quite good. It’s Virtual Instruments are minutely above crap.

Someone mentioned having to use a plugin to get a Dual Panner in S1. Annoying that it’s not part of the Pan UI , but boy, is it so much easier and versatile than Steinberg’s version is to use. Another one of those things that Steinberg should just rip off.

Is it OK? Sure it is. This is a damn good effort for 3-4 years of development. Most people could probably get work done on it and come up with what I refer to as a solid 90% result. But could they get at that last 10% of nuance? Maybe in two or three more years. But consider where Cubase will be then. Way too much catch up ball to play, I think.

But it is fun to do side by side comparisons just to keep everyone honest.

On the midi production front I’d wholeheartedly agree (and actually already did). I think the phrase I used is “blows it away”. :mrgreen: On the audio side, not so much, it requires a tiny bit of cherry picking and omitting in that regard to make Cubase come clearly out on top like it easily does with midi.

When it comes to “speed” of recording, editing and mixing audio… S1 is a clear winner for me personally. Much less time fiddling with the UI, much more time focusing on the music. Of course, I’d be a moron to suggest everyone should feel the same way because not everyone thinks the same way, works the same way, or even works on the same type of material.

Anyway, I agree with you (in proper context) Weasel. I suspect if you look you’ll find quite a few FR’s for S1 for things from Cubase, like retrospective record.

Well I just got my new version of 6.5 and yes it is very nice plus I am familiar with the format. I am sure once I get engaged a bit more with S1 2.0 I will find things I like better with both just as mentioned in this post. I am curious which would be a better remote live recording solution?

Don’t forget Cakewalk’s Sonar.

Easier workflow than Cubase, although their Skylight interface messed things up with the auto-snap to dock that you couldn’t disable… hopefully it’s fixed by now.

Sonar?
4 tiny visible scrollable insert slots?
:laughing:
which was not improved until today… a big No-Go for me, sorry.
otherwise sonar x is quite nice, yes.