Studio5 Install issues (Win7+Alesis Multimix8Firewire)

I upgraded with a new computer. Goodbye XP, Hello Win7 Home Premium 64bit. :smiley:

The computer has been running great with a variety of programs for some time now. But after installing CuBase Studio 5 from scratch, I am really disappointed. Something is just not working, and I am at a loss as to what it might be. I have installed and UNinstalled several times now, trying both the 32 and 64 bit versions. I have done updates to the 5.5.0 and 5.5.3 versions as well. Same result.

Regardless of version, when I launch CuBase, the program will sit there semi-locked up. I am really unable to do anything with it. Simple things like dragging the transport or resizing the program window— wow–unresponsive. Trying to open one of my projects, it takes forever just to NAVIGATE to the correct folder, with (Program Not Responding) appearing in the title bar off and on repeatedly. The computer is acting like all resources are Maxed out, but task manager shows only 2% to 7% CPU utilization (i5-2400K with 16 GB of Ram).

Computer has a RealTek Audio chipset in it.
I use an Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire for recording.

What is going on with this? I have had NO problems with any other software to this point. Help!

Which ASIO driver are you using?

Sorry to be all “Socratic” on ya, but…
Where would I find that?
What should I use?
Was that installed as part of my Alesis Firewire drivers?

While CuBase is running–or trying to (like right now), no other program is “laggy” or borderline unresponsive. I did not have any problems running this under XP…

all trouble-shooting and no recording makes Schu a dull boy…. :imp:

A quick read through the getting started manual would tell you how to set it all up.

Gee, uh, thanks. :confused:
First of all, It’s a fresh install, but the program is not “Fresh” to me. I’ve been using CuBase Studio 5 for TWO YEARS prior to this upgrade nightmare…

• There isn’t anything in the manual or anywhere else I’ve seen that indicates anything out of the ordinary during installation.
  • There was nothing in the manual regarding setup that is different from anything I have done so far.
  • There were NO messages, warnings, or any other notices that said there were hardware conflicts, software conflicts, or missing/bad components either during installation, after installation, while it is “running”, or after I close it.
  • There is nothing operating ABNORMALLY anywhere else on the computer besides CuBase–even while CuBase is trying to run…
  • I need to know what exactly would cause CuBase to sputter and stutter and as though a million other things were begging for processor time, and I need to know how to fix it.

I appreciate you steering me toward the ASIO driver my mixer uses. That, indeed, may be the problem somehow, though I do not understand at all how that could cause the symptoms I am experiencing. If you have another idea or specific suggestion, that’s great; perhaps someone else with more knowledge and some experience with these specific issues will respond.

EDIT: The comments on this video seem to suggest I am not alone… damnit. :imp:

After about 10 hours of digging and searching, I finally JUST got it going. :sunglasses: To anyone else with an Alesis Multimix Firewire mixer— you absolutely MUST Use Firmware version 2.0 with Win 7-- but to flash it– you can’t actually USE Win 7. Makes perfect sense-- right??

Luckily, I have an old laptop (running Vista) that actually has a firewire port, and I was able to update the firmware. THEN, I could update the ASIO Driver for the mixer. That allowed CuBase to communicate properly with the ASIO clock in the mixer and – shazamm! – we are up and running again. Man—I was REALLY lucky to have that old laptop laying around!!~ :sunglasses: