Stumped at WL 10 performance vs CPU stats

I’m in need of someone to please explain the following results.
I’m running 2 Windows DAWs with WL10.

Machine 1:
Asus PN50
4700u
32 gigs of 3200hz RAM
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe
No additional graphics card

Machine 2
Cyberpower PC
Intel i9 9900k
32 gigs of 3200 hz RAM
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe
1080 graphics card

Why is my much slower clockspeed (Machine 2) rendering files 2x the speed of Machine 1? It has a much higher single core speed (3.6 vs 1.8) and the addition of a separate graphics card.

I’ve been trying to optimize my machines for months now. What is the reason WL10 renders at 2x the speed on the slower machine?

Have you run standardized benchmarks on your 2 computers? If so, what were the results?

Shouldn’t it read:
Why is my much slower clockspeed (Machine 1) rendering files 2x the speed of Machine 2? It [Note: Machine 2] has a much higher single core speed (3.6 vs 1.8) and the addition of a separate graphics card.
?

Hi Poinzy,

Thanks for response.

I did. I used userbenchmark software.

Machine 1 Asus:

PC performing above expectations (77th percentile)

Gaming 24%
Desktop 90%
Workstation 23%

Machine 2 Cyberpower i9

PC performing as expected 59th percentile

Gaming 105%
Desktop 106%
Workstation 106%

Yes. Dyslexia strikes again! Thanks for that.

My slower Asus is rendering twice as fast as my i9 Cyberpower tower.

Didn’t intend to make it even more confusing!

We need to know what plugins are in your rendering chain.

I have noticed that many plugins these days are heavily graphics-orientated, so perhaps when a certain plugin detects that there is no discrete graphics card installed, it just renders audio (rather than the gamer-style displays of spectrums and frequency responses, “phat” levels etc.).

Hmm, that’s an interesting take on the situation! I have always disabled any display options on plugs when available. If this is the case, I will never buy another machine with a dedicated graphics card!

@gsmaster I think an important aspect is missing in your info. You say ‘rendering files’ is slower on one machine compared to the other, but what type of rendering are we talking about here? Batch processing, single audio files, montage renders? I ask because the multi-core aspect could be part of the equasion…

I don’t know whether this is a factor with WaveLab or not, because I haven’t really tested it, but I notice with SpectraLayers there is MUCH more memory-paging than there is with other editing programs I’ve used. I was thinking that speed could be an issue when using a Steinberg program if RAM is not optimized to work with a certain motherboard.

Sorry for not being more specific.

This is on montage renders with plugs only on the master bus. Identical on both machines.

The Ryzen 7 4700U has a boost frequency of 4.1 GHz, hence the base frequency of 2GHz has little importance. And I guess the 7nm Ryzen has a better internal architecture compared to the 14 nm i9.

Hi PG,
This may be the answer.
I always thought the base clock speed was more of an indicator, but maybe I have been looking for the wrong type of stats to evaluate WL10 performance. This at least makes more sense to me, thanks

Yes, but what plugins please? Can you list them?

PG has answered my question. Thanks for your help