Sudden Velocity Midi Peaks since Dorico installation

Hi,

i am Dorico owner now, because after checking out Finale and Sibelius via demo, i have to say Dorico has a more modern design and better tools for playback and virtual instruments.

Unfortunately I have recognized some sudden midi velocity peaks since I have installed Dorico. Now I constantly have sudden midi velocity peaks again and again. For example I am recording or playing a soft piece within Cubase and I constantly have around 5-6 sudden midi velocity peaks in some minutes. Then you really get scared, because it is maximum velocity peaks. I also have this problem when I only play with an stand-alone virtual Instrument.

It could be that Dorico installed something that is now causing these glitches. But I don´t know what.

How did you transfer your music from Cubase to Dorico?
XML from the Cubase Score module may be the most reliable option.

Hi Derrek,

I haven´t transfered any music or XML from Cubase to Dorico yet. This problem occured since the moment I have installed Dorico and opened Cubase or a standalone VST.

So the spikes occur in Cubase rather than in Dorico?

Do you really mean MIDI velocity peaks, Johannes, or that the playback volume suddenly increases, or something else? I’m afraid I’m not quite sure exactly what you’re reporting here, but if you can provide some more details, we’ll do our best to assist you.

Hi Daniel from Steinberg, Derrek,

I recently discovered that the midi velocity peaks I keep having, don’t come from Dorico Installation or driver conflicts. Unfortunately I had to find out that my Yamaha Clavinova CLP-585 produces the peaks. Yamaha service said me that some velocity sensors are worn out. I discovered that when playing on the Clavinova itself with Local Control On.
Thanks for interest so far. This problem/thread is solved by this detection.
Thanks

I had the same problem with a couple of different Clavinovas that I’ve owned. The Clavinovas have a rubber contact strip under the keybed, and there are two parallel rows of semiconductor material on raised channels on the rubber strip. When you press down a key, the key mashes the two rows of semiconductor material onto contacts on a circuit board sequentially, and the electronics in the Clavinova measure key velocity by measuring the time difference between the two contacts. Over time the keys eventually cut little slices into the raised channels on the rubber contact strip where the semiconductor material is, and that messes up the timing measurements. The only solution is to replace the contact strip, which requires quite a bit of disassembly of the keyboard. A service manual for your particular Clavinova is highly recommended to help with the disassembly, replacement of the contact strip, and re-assembly. I’ve done this several times successfully, but it does take a bit of time.

–Howard Ham
Visalia, CA