Suddenly local chord Symbols only... Help!

Hi all,

What did I switch on by accident? :wink:
Shift Q opens the popover in local mode by default…

Thx,
Benji

Type Alt+G to lock it back to global mode.

Thx Daniel!

B.

Hi,

I have an unusual situation that when I input a chord symbol on Piano staff, it always begin with local mode even if I switch back to global mode. (On my previous project it was the guitar staff that keeps doing it) Not sure how it starts. Would you mind look at the file for me?

Thanks a lot!!
ChihYang

P.S. On the piano staff, it still begin in global mode if I enter chord symbol at the very beginning of the chart. But after that, it always starts in local mode.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SSJxzTO3sbYjn9_1Snk7J_Kr5YftaS2s/view?usp=sharing

This page states:
“If you selected an item on a staff that has local chord symbols at earlier rhythmic positions, the chord symbols popover is automatically set to input local chord symbols when it opens.”

If you’ve already entered some local chord symbols, try entering chord symbols in a staff that doesn’t have any local adjustments to have them appear in all instruments displaying chord symbols.

Can someone point me to a page or video that explains the difference between local and global? I don’t think I’m really getting it. I’ve seen many references to these terms, but I’m not seeing how to apply them. Thank you.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your reply! I did read this part of the manual. And if I did not miss something, I have only global chord symbols now. (I deleted the local ones I mistakenly input earlier)
I also tried input some global chord symbols first then start chord symbol input again on following measure, it still starts with local mode.

I don’t really know the answer here, but I suppose it’s possible that as soon as you’ve entered local symbols then that staff is somehow marked as local even if you go back and actually delete the local chords.

At least you aren’t using local chords with chord symbols set to show between staves of a grand staff! That is even tougher to work with and there’s a bug where sometimes local chords won’t show at all! I ran into trouble with that a month or so ago.

Got it. Thanks for sharing your experience, Fred!

windrag, I think this video explains the topic. please check!

Thanks, aztic!

Somehow I got a bunch of local chords entered by accident. I actually wanted these to be the "real (ie global) chords, but I can’t find any way to convert them to global. I can’t figure out how to delete the local chords. Is there a way out of this situation without deleting all the chords and starting over? I have tried every search I can think of and can’t find anything.

Something seems seriously wrong with Dorico 4 in this area. I have tried the Alt-G command but the chords in one of my players insist on reverting to local no matter what I do. If I double-click the first chord and advance through the beats using the spacebar, I managed to get them to show up (and behave) as global. But if I double-click on an individual chord, it has the local icon.

Upon further testing, I guess this is working as intended. If you have a single local chart anywhere in a part, if you try to edit any chords, everything is treated as local chords. That’s a really counter-intuitive behavior, especially when you click on a chord that is already a global chord – it displays with the local icon if any local chords were detected in the parts.

I am completely at a loss as to how I ended up with any local chords in the part. I don’t believe I used the alt key when entering chords.

I think part of what you are describing has been made aware some days ago and will be fixed in the upcoming update.

Yes, thank you.

This leaves 3 questions for me:

1. How did I get ANY local chords in the first place? I don’t think I hit the Alt key, but maybe I did. (It seems improbable that local chords have been there since 3.1 and I never had this problem until 4.0 because I use chord symbols a lot.)
  2. If I get into this situation, is there any easy way to clean it up? Your other post talked about a command to change multiple global chords to local. I’d like to have the opposite.
  3. I believe we need a visual way to quickly see which chords are global and which are local. Perhaps an optional color for any local chords.
  1. it might be that you inadvertently pressed alt-L, which turns chord input to local until alt-G is pressed

2. No, but that’s exactly what I also suggested: an easy way to switch types

3. something like this exists: global chord symbols selected will also highlight in blue on other staffs they appear. local symbols don’t highlight any other chords on any other staffs.

1 Like

That’s certainly better than nothing. But I expect there will be more cases where people enter local chords by accident than intentionally. I’d really like to see local chords appear in orange or red – or at least have the option for that. That would eliminate 90% of the confusion with this otherwise brilliant feature.

1 Like