Suggestion: Another Natural Harmonic Notation style

(Re-)reading this topic (I must have seen it back then, but I don’t remember it) I must say I very much like this approach. It eliminates both rhythmical ambiguities and ambiguities on the playing technique proper. I wouldn’t mind if this became a notation standard, preferably with native Dorico support, of course.

They don’t decide which features to implement based on popularity; they have other criteria internally. “+1”s are not effective in this particular forum.

(On the other hand, I had not paid attention to this interesting notation before, so I’m glad it was bumped!)

1 Like

Don’t say “bump”, say “I was looking at this interesting old post and wondering…”

2 Likes

Caveat: if the OP concerned the current version, that’s still a bump… displacement activity, thinking about the philosophy of bumps

Just to bring this all back on topic, I am in the process of outlining a short 1-page outline of this system for all those interested. I have been able to get the entire system, so far, to be notated by Dorico, but having it included as one of the default preference styles would be AMAZING! More than happy to chat to @Lillie_Harris, @dspreadbury or anyone at the Dorico team about this idea if they are still interested. Also, completely fine if there are other pressing matters at hand! Best wishes, Conrad

2 Likes

Awesome, I would be happy to see how you achieved this notation in Dorico!

Some composers from the Faber Music house in London use this notation (George Benjamin - Three Inventions, Written on Skin), and Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring score by Boosey occasionally does too.

I’ve written extensively for string ensemble in the last few years, and have always notated ALL my harmonics, whether natural or artificial, with the bottom note (regardless of whether it is an open string or a fingered note).

every musician I’ve worked with, from orchestral players, to soloists, has had absolutely no issue understanding what I wrote, saying that it was, in fact, quite obvious.

I never used brackets, I can see why someone might want to use them, but according to my musicians, they really wouldn’t have added anything but clutter to the scores.
generally speaking, brackets around a note imply an optional note (think contrabass with or without a C string.)
at least, this is how many string players view them.

1 Like