Suggestion: do not change loudness and keep relative levels in Loudness Meta Normalizer

Using the Loudness Meta Normalizer, I want to limit the highest peak of a selection of clips while keeping the relative levels of the selected clips. Let’s say, the selection consists of 3 clips with the peak levels of +1 dB, 0 dB, and -1 dB, respectively. After the limiting the values should be adjusted to 0 dB, -1 dB, and -2 dB, accordingly.

I do not see such an option in the current version of the Loudness Meta Normalizer (WL 9.5). The option could be name something like “Do Not Change Loudness and Keep Relative Levels” and it should allow to limit the highest peak of a selection of clips without changing the relative levels of the clips.

If it is already possible, please, instruct me.

I think I once had a similar request which can be useful in stem version mastering.

You could Meta Normalize the loudness of the main mix and then have all the alternate mixes be adjusted by the same amount so their relationship does not change.

If you use these settings:

then the gain change is common to all clips, since it is done at the montage output. Hence relative levels are preserved. What you ask for.

This is technically a solution but what would be really nice for stem and alternate version mastering is a way to normalize the clip gain of the main selected item, and have all the other clips follow the same gain change so their relationship stays the same.

The reason for this is so that the clips feed any montage output effects the same level so they all react the same to any dynamics and saturation processing on playback and rendering.

Actually that is not what I am asking for. I would like to keep the relative levels of clips at the pre-gain stage of clips, that is to say, prior to clip effect processing. I often have to start out with a batch of clips that are 32 bit FP some with peaks above 0 dB. I simply want to normalize the highest peak of the batch (while preserving the relative levels of the clips) before hitting an effect processor at the track level.

Philippe,

Following up on your previous comment, I just realized that limiting in the Meta Normalizer is to be understood literally, i.e. as ensuring a level does not exceed a predefined value. That only partly covers the function of peak normalization. If one is trying to raise the highest peak of a group of clips to 0 dB the current Limit function won’t do it. Normalization would do it though. Have you considered adding “Normalize True/Digital Peak” to the already available options of “Limit True/Digital Peak?”

Have you considered adding “Normalize True/Digital Peak” to the already available options of "Limit True/Digital Peak?

Yes. Actually, it was present many years ago. Then I removed it, because I did not see an interest for it, compared to loudness. But there are a couple of users, like you, who still would like it. Hence it’s on my todo list again.