Suggestion: "Do not show flow name if the project has only one flow" tickable box in Layout options

I think a cool option to have in the “Setup - Layout options / Page options” would be a tickable “Do not show flow name if the project has only one flow”.

Of course, now you can achieve this manually (I do it all the time) and it’s quite easy, but I think it would be a good “quality of life” feature very easy to implement.

This way, you can save your configurations as default and when you’re working in one flow works, the title of the flows don’t appear (just the title of the project) and if you’re working on a piece with several movements, then you don’t have to touch anything to show the different names of the flows/movements without changing anything else.

Maybe it’s something silly, but I thought it could be useful…

5 Likes

Nice idea. With things as they currently are, it might make sense to set Flow Headings to show “Never” in a score layout, then Save As Default, then to repeat for a part layout, rather than “doing this all the time”.

1 Like

Fwiw, while I have my flow headings hidden by default since I primarily work on single flow files, I’ve wished for a similar behavior to what you’ve described.

1 Like

For the record, when I train new users, this is usually one of the first questions they have. “How do I get rid of that?”

I also think that’s a great idea!

Yes, I agree on that … that would be good.

me too!

Since Dorico 4 you can start a new project in the Hub with the option “contains multiple flows” (or similar) set. What it does is setting the appropriate layout options for you: if unchecked, the flowtitle will not appear, if checked, it will.

3 Likes

Thanks
I finally found the option …

Yeah! One thing I love about dorico is that they DO listen to the people in order to make new features or QoL improvements like this. I’m very happy with the 4th version, as they implemented a lot of things I asked :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s good to know for future reference. Is there any way to change this setting for existing projects? I looked in the manual and did not find anything. Thanks!

Layout options>Page Layout>Flows. You can set here “No headings for Flows”

Hey Marc, in layout options I’m seeing “Show Flow Headings”: Never, Not for first flow, For all flows.

Is this what you’re referring to?

Yes. Sorry, I wasn’t in front of my computer. I hope you will pick the good one!

Thanks for the help!

Out of interest, how/where did you look in the manual for this information? If you searched online, what phrases did you use, etc? For reference, here’s the page in the manual:

Hi Lillie,

I usually have pretty good “google-foo”, but yesterday was not one of my better days. :smiling_face:

I googled “contains multiple flows” - bad choice of terms. I searched in the PDF doc for “Hide flow Heading” but got nothing. With 20/20 hindsight, I should have googled “hide flow headings” - the answer pops right up.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks. Yes online searches (particularly third-party search engines with their powerful algorithms) are a lot more lenient with varieties of verb forms, whereas a hard search of a PDF will be much more exacting; and generally, the body of text in the manual uses the “-ing” form of verbs the vast majority of the time (although I do add forms like “hide” “move” etc into the metadata as and when).